Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Problems with security when using Live connection to SSAS Tabular

Hi

I'm working with an Oracle DW, SSAS 2016 Tabular models, and PBI for reports, eventually we'll go to PBI Service.

I need to implement security based on AD groups (read access rights) , and also by user (what can each one see), how should i do that? 

Will we have any advantage in particular accessing reports trough PBI service (connected to on-prem SSAS Tabular) or it is the same as connecting through Power BI Desktop? 

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous,

If you implement RLS on SSAS Tabular, once the report has been published, the dynamic row level security that was defined in the on-premises Analysis Services tabular model has been successfully reflected and observed in the Power BI service. Then Power BI uses the effective username property to send the current Power BI user credential to the on-premises data source to run the queries. So it should work seamlessly without problems.

Regards,

Frank

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

Based on my research,  RLS for live connections to Analysis Services are handled in the on-premises model. So you could implement security in the on-premises model. Please refer to the online document.

There are some advantages through PBI service.

1. It is more effective to implement RLS in Power BI.
  2. You can do schedule refresh for the report in service.
  3. You can share the content to others in service.
  4. Different users could view the report at one time in service without having to open PBIX file in Power BI Desktop.

Regards,

Frank

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

Hi Frank, 

I have followed all the process according to the document but the viewers still can see all the countries. RLS is not working there in powerBi Cloud. Please let me know what I can do to make it work. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-frfei-msft,

you wrote that "It is more effective to implement RLS in Power BI" - but now my doubt is, if i implement RLS on SSAS Tabular, and then move the reports to PBI Service, what will be the one that should be working, or will it work seamlessly without problems?

Regards

Hi @Anonymous,

If you implement RLS on SSAS Tabular, once the report has been published, the dynamic row level security that was defined in the on-premises Analysis Services tabular model has been successfully reflected and observed in the Power BI service. Then Power BI uses the effective username property to send the current Power BI user credential to the on-premises data source to run the queries. So it should work seamlessly without problems.

Regards,

Frank

I'm finding that the RLS we built on the SSAS model (live connection) is not working in the PBI Service and users are able to see everything. While it should be using the effective user name - it seems to be bypassing the RLS entirely. The users are set up as viewers only - so it's not an admin issue.  Looking for insights on what we are missing

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.