Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

UsePowerBI
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Problems with Merge Queries

Hello

I am using Merge Queries and I have the problems below:

1) The calculated columns do not appear in the list of columns to expand when I join a table, why is this happening? Can I not expand using the calculated columns? This is very inconvenient.

2) When I click to apply changes, PowerBI starts to load/download rows but my OBDC times out. How can I fix that?

3) When I click to apply changes, PowerBI seems to load/download millions of rows when in fact my files are less than a million of rows altogether. Why is this happening?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @UsePowerBI ,

If you want to show blank and A in slicer, you need to create a new table. I create a sample. Please have a try.

Table =
ADDCOLUMNS (
    VALUES ( Table2[Column1] ),
    "Table1_Column2", CALCULATE (
        MAX ( Table1[Column2] ),
        FILTER ( Table1, Table1[Column1] IN VALUES ( Table2[Column1] ) )
    )
)

v-xuding-msft_0-1597751256255.png

Best Regards,
Xue Ding
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@UsePowerBI merge query is a very expensive transformation. Regarding your first question, not sure what you mean by the calculated column, I assume, you have added a column in a table, and on merge, you are saying you cannot see this column. There is no reason why this column will not show up. It is very hard to say what you are doing and why this column is not showing, click load more on expand column dialog box, and see if you get to see all the columns?

Bottom line is, why you are doing the merge? Cannot you achieve the same using relationship in the model?

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

@parry2k  thanks, I could use the relationship model but there is a significant inconvenience:

When two columns are put together in a table visual, which columns come from different tables that have been joined, there are fields that have no value because there the joining of the tables is not complete.

These empty values (which appear after you choose 'Show no values' in the table visual), cannot be included in the slicers. So whatever you choose in the slicers, the empty values will always be present which is inconvenient.

That's why I was thinking to do a Merge Query and replace the empty values with null in the column so that they can be filtered in the table visual using slicers.

Is there a solution for this?

@UsePowerBI I think I got the gist of your problem, why not share sample data and what you are trying to achieve and let's what we can do here.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

@parry2k please find here: https://ufile.io/9gmho4r8 

I want the slicer to filter the empty values only but it does not have that option.

Hi @UsePowerBI ,

If you want to show blank and A in slicer, you need to create a new table. I create a sample. Please have a try.

Table =
ADDCOLUMNS (
    VALUES ( Table2[Column1] ),
    "Table1_Column2", CALCULATE (
        MAX ( Table1[Column2] ),
        FILTER ( Table1, Table1[Column1] IN VALUES ( Table2[Column1] ) )
    )
)

v-xuding-msft_0-1597751256255.png

Best Regards,
Xue Ding
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.