Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Timbo

Problems with Google Analytics connector - Retrieving different figures adding a coloumn

Dear all,

I have tried to find topics that would help me solve my problem but I failed. 🙂

Strange.PNG

I am pulling data from analytics...basic stuff: Date, Sessions, Conversions, Users...but I noticed some differences in numbers. The table on the right hand side simply pulls sessions and conversion per day, filtered by source / medium "htg / meta". These figures are 100% correct and equal to data displayed in my analytics account. 

If I now add "users" coloumn (table on the left), the numbers change dramatically and even the conversions "E-Mail Anfragen", "Kauf" and "Telefonnumer" change to strange multiples of 7 (and multiples of 7 plus 1). Another thing that happens is that the 27th of November disappears and traffic seems to attributed to other dates...I am lost. I have also tried to add other coloumns such as campaign with the same behaviour.

I have also checked the https://ga-dev-tools.appspot.com/query-explorer/ tool and data is being returned correctly even if I pull Sessions and Users together. 

Thankful for any help...

Tim

12 REPLIES 12
ReportGuru
Helper IV
Helper IV

Hi, were you able to find a solution? I used the GA native connector but had some issues with my data sometimes. As a workaround, maybe you can try to test your connection with a 3rd party connector. I've tried windsor.ai, supemetrics and funnel.io. I stayed with windsor because it is much cheaper so just to let you know other options. In case you wonder, to make the connection first search for the GA connector in the data sources list:

GA-1.png

After that, just grant access to your GA account using your credentials, then on preview and destination page you will see a preview of your GA fields:

GA-2.png

There just select the fields you need. Finally, just select PBI as your data destination and finally just copy and paste the url on PBI --> Get Data --> Web --> Paste the url.

SELECT_DESTINATION_NEW.png

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

I have a Google Analytics content pack deployed so I should be able to simulate this, but I can't really see your columns and such in your screen shot. If you can give me the specific table:columns that you are using like:

Overview:Sessions

then I could mock this up in my environment and see if I can figure out what is going on.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Dear smoupre,

could you simulate my scenrario?`I still haven't found a solution for this myself 😞

I need the tables you are pulling from, sorry if I missed them but I don't see the tables and the columns in those tables. listed. When I connect to Google Analytics, I see tables such as:

• Ad Exchange
  • Adsense
  • Adwords
  • App Tracking
  • Audience
  • Channel Grouping
  • Content Experiments
  • Content Grouping

etc.

Latest book!:

Sorry. I am pulling the following columns from left to right:

- TABLE --> (SUBTABLE) --> COLUMN

First case where it all works (Table 1):

Time --> Month of Year

- Session --> Sessions

- Goal Conversions --> (Goal Completions) --> Goal 2 Completions

- Goal Conversions --> (Goal Completions) --> Goal 3 Completions

- Goal Conversions --> (Goal Completions) --> Goal 4 Completions

- Traffic Sources --> Source / Medium (filtered to one source / medium afterwards)

Second case with incorrect figures:

Time --> Month of Year

- Session --> Sessions

- Goal Conversions --> (Goal Completions) --> Goal 2 Completions

- Goal Conversions --> (Goal Completions) --> Goal 3 Completions

- Goal Conversions --> (Goal Completions) --> Goal 4 Completions

- Traffic Sources --> Source / Medium (filtered to one source / medium afterwards)

- User --> Users

Thanks a lot

The behaviour can be even observed without the goal conversion metrics.

Using only Date, Sessions, Source / Medium will alter the figures returned with and without pulling "Users"

Beaviour could not be observed without the dimension "Source / Medium", Thats is, pulling only "Date" and "Sessions" will return the same amount of sessions per day with and without the dimension "Users". 

Sorry for my inability to express myself in a proper way. 🙂

Hmm, OK, I think that I configured this correctly and unfortunately I am not seeing what you are seeing. I guess one question I would have, do you see the correct/incorrect data in the preview? I am also wondering if perhaps the issue is somewhere in the Power Query. Any chance you can post the power query "M" code?

GoogleAnalytics1.png

GoogleAnalytics2.png

Latest book!:

Hi,

This is likely a sampling issue with GA.  When you bring in the metric Users with those dimensions, the report (across all metrics) switches from precalculated reports to actually calculating this data.  If the total data set is greater than 500k sessions, then the data will be sampled, causing these sorts of issues.  Metrics like goal conversion rates and sessions are standard so won't cause this issue. 

Try reducing the date range and see if it works then.  Maybe do for a single week initially.

Hi, I'm having the same problem. When pulling out a few metrics, such as transactions, revenue, sessions, week and channel grouping, I get what I see in the Google Analytics interface a 100%, but when I add the Campaign or the Landing page dimension, the transaction and revenue numbers get reduced and inaccurate. Any suggestions on anything to change in the query? KR Marianne

How does one specify the timeframe parameter in this GA connector? In the API there are startdate and enddate parameters.

Dear smoupre,

the columns I am pulling are:

First case: Date, Sessions, Source / Medium (filtered), Conversions (This is the constellation that works)

Second case: Date, Sessions, Source / Medium (filtered), Conversions, Users or Campaign (figures for Sessions and Conversions are incorrect)

Hope this helps. Thanks in advance

For your convenience I am trying to upload the tables once again:

Correct figuresCorrect figuresIncorrect figuresIncorrect figures

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.