Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
christophgm Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Problems with Date Format and R Script

Hello everybody,

I'm not getting the result I need, when I try to build a small GANTT-like Chart via R in PBI.

See the code as following:

`dataset` = read.csv('C:/Users/cgmeiner/AppData/Local/Radio/REditorWrapper_00f11c68-b4d0-4572-9e0d-c4ba7e30421c/input_df_9a681b40-b3ce-4e89-aed9-0fb6c51643f0.csv', check.names = FALSE, encoding = "UTF-8", blank.lines.skip = FALSE);
library(ggplot2) # Visualization
library(date)

#lct <- Sys.getlocale("LC_TIME"); Sys.setlocale("LC_TIME", "C")
#Sys.setlocale("LC_TIME", lct)

#Start3 <- as.date(paste(substr(dataset$Start,6,7),"-",substr(dataset$Start,9,10), "-", substr(dataset$Start, 0, 4)))
#Ende3 <- as.date(paste(substr(dataset$Ende,6,7),"-",substr(dataset$Ende,9,10), "-", substr(dataset$Ende, 0, 4)))

ggplot(dataset,aes(x=as.date(paste(substr(dataset$Start,6,7),"-",substr(dataset$Start,9,10), "-", substr(dataset$Start, 0, 4))),
                   y=dataset$Hauptkasse_Name, color=PZN_Company)) +
  geom_segment(aes(x=as.date(paste(substr(dataset$Start,6,7),"-",substr(dataset$Start,9,10), "-", substr(dataset$Start, 0, 4))),
                   xend=as.date(paste(substr(dataset$Ende,6,7),"-",substr(dataset$Ende,9,10), "-", substr(dataset$Ende, 0, 4))),
                   yend=dataset$Hauptkasse_Name),size=10) +
  scale_colour_discrete(guide=guide_legend(override.aes=list(size=10))) +

ggtitle("Tender Duration") + xlab("") + ylab("") + theme_bw()+

scale_x_date(date_breaks = "1 month") +

theme(axis.text.x = element_text(angle = 90)) 

For some reasons, the Start/Ende fields are defined as date in PBI, but as soon as the fields hit R they turn into either a factor or a character. Now I created the workaround above. Still I get the following error message:

"Error: Invalid input: date_trans works with objects of class Date only".

This is related to scale_x_date function. I'd be happy for any support or tipps from all of you.

many thanks in advance

Christoph

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Frequent Visitor

Re: Problems with Date Format and R Script

Thanks for your reply and the link for another way for a GANTT Chart in R.
In the meantime I solved my issue. When using datetime format instead of date format everything is working.
Thanks and br
2 REPLIES 2
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @christophgm,

In your scenario, since Start and End fields are both set to date format, why did you split and combine string via "paste(substr(dataset$Start,6,7),"-",substr(dataset$Start,9,10), "-", substr(dataset$Start, 0, 4))"?

Could you get expected output running above code in R tool rather than in Power BI? Besides, please share your data source .csv file so that I can test for you.

Here is an example that generate Gantt chart using R script, please see:

Gantt chart using R

Regards,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for your reply and the link for another way for a GANTT Chart in R.
In the meantime I solved my issue. When using datetime format instead of date format everything is working.
Thanks and br