Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Jmenas
Advocate III
Advocate III

Problems replacing existing Reports and Datasets.

Hi All,

After the Power BI update, we have an issue that is through our reports. That are contain in one specific account.
The issue is that eveytime we changed a visual or a measure in the report on the Desktop and then try to published on the web. We got a message like this:

power_Bi_error_Message_LI

We also got a message that we had our file and it set up with cloud refresh service that couldn't replace the dataset. We currently use odata feeds and the credentials are in order.

erro cloud refresh_LI.jpg

Can someone tell me what can be wrong? or at least why? We repuplished just fine until yesterday with this account.    

PD: I test with other accounts and it works fine. 

*Update: cloud issue error image*

Best,

J

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Jmenas
Advocate III
Advocate III

Hi All,

So after a few weeks of phoning with MS Support. They said that depends on the way you uploaded your data to the Power BI service. 
Case A: If you upload the file it via Web Service (OneDrive personal or Fro Business) than the republish won't work, but it will republish once the schedule refresh is done and that you have the .pbix file in the same folder. 

Case B: If you publish with the desktop and desktop only it will be updated just when you need to but not automatically like with OneDrive.

In summary, look in which way you uploaded your file, then check if you have it in the same folder. 

Best, 

J. 

PD: I solved my issue so I will close the thread. In case, you still have issues either you write to Microsoft support or create another thread.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
Jmenas
Advocate III
Advocate III

Hi All,

So after a few weeks of phoning with MS Support. They said that depends on the way you uploaded your data to the Power BI service. 
Case A: If you upload the file it via Web Service (OneDrive personal or Fro Business) than the republish won't work, but it will republish once the schedule refresh is done and that you have the .pbix file in the same folder. 

Case B: If you publish with the desktop and desktop only it will be updated just when you need to but not automatically like with OneDrive.

In summary, look in which way you uploaded your file, then check if you have it in the same folder. 

Best, 

J. 

PD: I solved my issue so I will close the thread. In case, you still have issues either you write to Microsoft support or create another thread.

Hi @Jmenas 

I have only ever published from desktop, and had this issue for about 1 week, then it started working again.  Sounds like there was a different cause for different people.

hanafichi
Regular Visitor

same issue with my power BI after installed the latest software. Any updates?

ZLJ
Advocate II
Advocate II

I've had this issue for the last few days too.  Having to delete reports in order to re-publish them, but i can only do that if they are not pinned to multiple dashboards / have multiple refresh schedules, as otherwise it is alot of work to reproduce!

It might be a complete coincidence, however, i just tried REFRESH NOW on a session with a different username & with the new Power BI Service interface and it refreshed.  All attempts using the login that owns the refresh schedule, which are showing on the old Power BI Service Interface.

I have no idea if it is just timing, of the different user account, or the Power BI Service Interface that made a difference.

Will try and edit another report, and see if i can figure it out.

twalsh0625
Advocate I
Advocate I

Same issue in my org.

Question, what data sources are you all using in your PBIX file?

we are using two SQL DBs (on premise) and several files on a sharepoint document library, one xlsx and four .csv

We have a mixture of datasources

- TeraData

- Excel files - shared via OneDrive

- SQL Server

This is really frustrating. Particularly when MS appear to release this updates without full testing with old PBIX files. Then you are unable to roll back to an older release because the PBIX has been "formatted" for use in the latest release.

Hi all,

I see many customers reported this republish issue. As I'm not able to reproduce on my side, can you run Fiddler and repeat republish steps to create .saz file? You can upload .saz file to your OneDrive and share the link here.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@Jmenas@shirleyss75 I'm not able to reduce the issue on my side. Based on my test in Power BI desktop version 2.46.4732.581 released on 5/5/2017, if there is one dataset with the same name exists on the service, we are able to replace it. In your scenario, please follow below steps to troubleshoot the issue:

1. Please run the same desktop version as ours.

2. Try to open Power BI service, use Get Data -> File to upload .pbix file.

3. If issue persists, please use fiddler to capture trace around the time that issue occurs and share the .saz file here.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-qiuyu-msft ,

I updated Power BI desktop to the latest version (see screenshot). 

Power BI Version.PNG

Regarding the other method to upload the file via the Get Data in the web service also failed (screenshoot).

Power BI GetData Fail.PNG

Regarding the last trace with fiddler I need to consult my team first and then I update the thread with the .saz file.

Best,

J

Having the exact same issue. Working with MS Support to resolve this but glad that this not isolated to just our business.

shirleyss75
Regular Visitor

Same issue here!! Any support for this? We always update our dataset with this option and since the last PBI update today we haven't been able to do so. Help!

pbi error.png

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Can't make out the entire text of the error message but it looks like it is saying that you have more than one dataset named the same thing? Is that correct and is that true?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Hi @Greg_Deckler,

Yeah that is correct. We had one already called with the same name and that was the one we tried to republish but it didn't work.

Best,

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.