Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

sebbayard
Helper I
Helper I

Problems replacing datasets

Hi all,  I'm having troubles replacing an existing data set using PowerBI Desktop.  It says the dataset is being successfully uploaded, but when it starts to refresh it's still using the old one. I've tried to upload a copy to see what happens, and it works just fine.  Appreciate your help here.  Thanks Ben

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
sebbayard
Helper I
Helper I

Thanks for all your input.

I think I finally managed to resolve the issue by checking off all your points together with the input from this thread: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Expression-Error-The-column-lt-ColumnTitle-gt-of-the-table-...

Cheers

Ben

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
sebbayard
Helper I
Helper I

Thanks for all your input.

I think I finally managed to resolve the issue by checking off all your points together with the input from this thread: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Expression-Error-The-column-lt-ColumnTitle-gt-of-the-table-...

Cheers

Ben

v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@sebbayard

While you publishing to Power BI, did you receive a message said that “You already have a dataset named ‘***’ in Power BI. Do you want to replace the existing dataset with this one”?

If yes, the dataset on Service should be replaced with this new one. If no, please check that if you changed the name of old one in Service (e.g. add a blank which cannot be easily noticed).

One more thing, did you publish the new one to the same group as the old one? If you publish to a different group, the old one will not be replaced (e.g. the old one is in My Workspace and the new one is published to another test group)

Best Regards,

Herbert

JBJ2110
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

I might be barking up the wrong tree, but here are some thoughts based on my own (albeit limited) experiences:

1) Are you trying to upload a dataset that has the SAME NAME, but you have changed something in the original dataset? If the answer to this is yes, make sure you save changes on BOTH the Excel side and the Power Pivot side. I have found that there are times when I have made changes to tables in Excel, but DID NOT go over to the Power Pivot side and save there as well. When I tried to refresh to Power BI, it didn't see the changes. Also--you need to make sure you refresh the tables in the Power Pivot data model as well. 

2) I have noticed that when I am saving my changes to a Sharepoint site (I am using a O365 Sharepoint), there is sometimes a delay in that save process. Look in the bottom right hand side of your screen to make sure it is showing that it is saving to your designated location. 

3) I believe that the NAME of the original file is critical. I don't change the name of my dataset because the connection between Power BI desktop and Excel will NOT pick up the changes in the file with the new name. 

I am sure that others, with more experience, may be able to add more/different comments that will be helpful to you. Meanwhile, I hope this helps. 

Jessica Jolly
Alt-Enter, LLC
Building digital skills, bit by byte
www.altentertraining.com

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors