Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Richard_S
Frequent Visitor

Problem with totals in visuals

I am having an issue with totals that Power BI is calcuating, in the below table I have 2 columns by month, one is "Opportunity ID" using Power BI's 'Distinct Count' Summarization View. the other is a measure:
Opportunity Count = DISTINCTCOUNT([Opportunity ID])

These are just values from one one table and the only filter applied is for the Close Month (Jan - July) - When i remove the filter the problem remains.

As you can see from the below if Power Bi is performing a sum of the data I would expect the total to be 2681, however the PowerBI result is 1829.

PowerBI Chart.png

Is there something different with the calculation method in power BI that I'm missing/unaware of?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-micsh-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi Richard_S,

If you just choose the count(distinct) in Power BI desktop, then the total would show the distinct count of the whole column. This is the same when using the Distinctcount measure.

To have the total show the expected total here, we need perform the following steps:

• First create a measure to distinct count the column, which you have already done([Opportunity Count]  := DISTINCTCOUNT([Opportunity ID]));
  • Create another measure with the following formula(put the measure here):
  • [OC] := SUMX(DISTINCT(Table[Close Month]), [Opportunity Count])

This should show the expected result. See my test result:

4.PNG5.PNG

If any further help needed, please feel free to post back.

Regards

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-micsh-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi Richard_S,

If you just choose the count(distinct) in Power BI desktop, then the total would show the distinct count of the whole column. This is the same when using the Distinctcount measure.

To have the total show the expected total here, we need perform the following steps:

• First create a measure to distinct count the column, which you have already done([Opportunity Count]  := DISTINCTCOUNT([Opportunity ID]));
  • Create another measure with the following formula(put the measure here):
  • [OC] := SUMX(DISTINCT(Table[Close Month]), [Opportunity Count])

This should show the expected result. See my test result:

4.PNG5.PNG

If any further help needed, please feel free to post back.

Regards

Thanks for the reply Michael, I actually figured it out shortly after posting here.

Thanks again!
chrisu
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

I'm thinking this problem might be that the total row is showing a distinct count of all the IDs, rather than summing the distinct counts of ID for each month.  SUMX should be able to fix this by summing the distinct count over months.  Something like:

Opportunity Count = SUMX(DISTINCT(Date[Close Month]),DISTINCTCOUNT([Opportunity ID]))

You may need to adjust the parameters to get exactly what you want.  See http://www.powerpivotpro.com/2010/02/sumx-the-5-point-palm-exploding-fxn-technique/ for more info on SUMX.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.