cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Problem with subtracting two columns in a matrix

I have a matrix table that shows the budget of investments. The matrix has 4 row categories: Location, Investment type, Description and Investment number. And the values are: Budget, Filling the budget as of Q1, Q1 Difference, Filling the budget as of Q2, Q2 Difference and so on..

The matrix should look something like this:

pbi 1.PNG

and I do get this result without the "Q1 Difference" calculation, but when I enter the calculation I get this:

pbi 2.PNG

As you can see it displays all the investment numbers (even when they don't apply to a certain Description, Investment type or location) under every description and the budget number multiplies behind all the investments. Only the "Filling the budget as of Q1" is behind the correct row.

I've tried with a regular Quick Measure, I've tried with =CALCULATE(SUM([Budget])) - CALCULATE(SUM([Filling the budget as of Q1])), which worked a couple of days ago, but then I had other things wrong with my Report and I've changed the queries since then quite a bit. Also tried doing the calculation with SQL, which works behind all the rows, but the grand total number will be off.

Been stuck on this problem for a while now, any help is appreciated.

1 REPLY 1
v-kellya-msft
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi  @Anonymous ,

Could you pls provide some sample data and expected output?Your description above doesnt make the issue clear...

Best Regards,
Kelly
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

MBAS on Demand

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

Get Ready for Power BI Dev Camp

Microsoft named a Leader in The Forrester Wave

Microsoft received the highest score of any vendor in both the strategy and current offering categories.

R2 (Green) 768 x 460px.png

Microsoft Dynamics 365 & Power Platform User Professionals

DynamicsCon is a FREE, 4 half-day virtual learning experience for 11,000+ Microsoft Business Application users and professionals.

Top Solution Authors