Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Problem with simple measure?

I have a single table which I created from a public dataset, with the following layout / sample records:

table.PNG

Now I want to create a measure for Unemployment Rate which is based on the very simple function (Unemployed / LaborForce). I need a measure instead of a calculated column, because I want to analye the data by geography and race.

UERate = DIVIDE(SUM(UE1[Unemployed]), SUM(LF1[LaborForce]))

What's weird is that the measure always gives me the calculation for the entire table, regardless of how I slice the data using values from the same table, e.g.:

table2.PNG

It's rolling up my columns correctly, but the measure is ignoring my visual filter.

What am I doing wrong?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous ,

Looking at your measure you are making the calculation based on two different tables UE1 and LF1 if the tables don't have any relationship with the table where the Race column is based then you will get the full result for both tables so in all rows the same value since there is no context connection between the measure and the table columns.

I assume that when you refer that you have a single table is a new one where you have summarize your information correct?

You need to make the measure based on that table columns in your case Race / LaborForce / Unemployed.

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Well, in the measure, you refer to two separate tables while your table shows both columns in the same table. Generally when a measure acts the way your is acting, there is a missing relationship between two tables.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous ,

Looking at your measure you are making the calculation based on two different tables UE1 and LF1 if the tables don't have any relationship with the table where the Race column is based then you will get the full result for both tables so in all rows the same value since there is no context connection between the measure and the table columns.

I assume that when you refer that you have a single table is a new one where you have summarize your information correct?

You need to make the measure based on that table columns in your case Race / LaborForce / Unemployed.

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm an idiot. Those were temporary tables I used as I was working through the data.

All better now - thanks.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.