Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

juanrarodriguez
Regular Visitor

Problem with related slicers

Hi all,

I am having some troubles (may be a PowerBI bug?) with the data selection that appears in two slicers that I need to add to my Dashboard. I will try to explain the situation, it would be very appreciate if you can help me with any possible explanation Smiley Happy

I have two columns, which have relation between each other.

Column1             ->            Column2

A                            ->            1,2,3,4

B                            ->            5,6,7

C                            ->            8,9,10,11

Knowing that “Column1” target “Column2”, but “Column2” do not target “Column1”, we have these results, when both columns have selected the ALL option in the slicers.

If we select one value of “Column1”, the slave-slicer “Column2”, show us only values with direct relation to “Column1”.

That is correct.

The bad thing comes, when we change values in “Column1”, having values in “Column2” selected. In this case, we have this result.

And that is not correct, because “Column2” value number “3” is not represented in “Column1” value “B” (it belongs to value “A”).

My questions are; it exists any way to update “Column2” selections, when we select different values in “Column1”? May be it is achievable with hierarchical relationships other similar options?

Thanks in advance for your response.

Sorry for my bad English, it is not my mother language Smiley Happy

Power BI Report

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

This is the normal behaviour of slicers in Power BI sadly. You're not doing anything wrong.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
cnweke
Resolver II
Resolver II

Thank you for the screenshots and explanation.

What is happening is normal. Slicers are actually AND statements. Essentially what your slicers are doing is:

show me a record where Column 1 = A and Column 2 = 3.

That record doesn't exist.

Now, onto your main question which is dynamic slicers. That's possible if they are in separate tables (not just columns) when you create a relatonship you need to select a filter direction. If you select bidirectional filters, your filters become 'dynamic'. 

If you're going to use Bidrectional filters in complex models do read up on https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/bidirectional-relationships-and-ambiguity-in-dax/?platform=hootsuite though.

@cnweke wrote:

Thank you for the screenshots and explanation.

What is happening is normal. Slicers are actually AND statements. Essentially what your slicers are doing is:

show me a record where Column 1 = A and Column 2 = 3.

That record doesn't exist.

Now, onto your main question which is dynamic slicers. That's possible if they are in separate tables (not just columns) when you create a relatonship you need to select a filter direction. If you select bidirectional filters, your filters become 'dynamic'. 

If you're going to use Bidrectional filters in complex models do read up on https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/bidirectional-relationships-and-ambiguity-in-dax/?platform=hootsuite though.

Hi @cnweke ,

Thank you for your quickly response. I have read and tested you solution, but unfortunely it didn't work :(. 

It filters well, but is not deselecting the actual selection on the second slicer when changing the values of the first slicer. I attach you the new version, let me know if I did something wrong or if you have another good idea.

Power BI Report

Thank you!

This is the normal behaviour of slicers in Power BI sadly. You're not doing anything wrong.

@cnweke wrote:

Okay, thank you so much for confirm it 🙂

Regards!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.