Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Problem with refreshing the data sources

Hello Guys, 

I have a problem with refreshing the data source.

I am importing files from Sharepoint , individual file for each day , and I Combine them by powerquery.

But I made a filter before appending ( file starts with some characters ) 

But when I add another file to the same folder , and refresh power bi model , it doesn't add the new file 

It works only when i enter to the power query editor and click > refresh preview

But i want to automate it to work with the schedualed refresh on the online service

any help please ?

the first pic is after clicking refresh on the bi file itself and didn't refreshed all files in the folder

johnelmasry_1-1598281773336.png

the second pic is after clicking refresh preview in the power query editor

johnelmasry_2-1598281793174.png

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
BA_Pete
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous ,

This is how Power Query is supposed to work.

When you refresh data, even though the preview in Power Query doesn't update, the new data will actually be loaded into your model for use. I guess this is to speed up the data refresh process so the system doesn't waste time refreshing the query previews at the same time.

If you go into Options & settings, you can adjust whether Power Query performs background preview refreshes while you're working. This may help alleviate your concerns as then your previews will update as you're working on other queries.

Pete

Now accepting Kudos! If my post helped you, why not give it a thumbs-up?

Proud to be a Datanaut!

View solution in original post

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @Anonymous,

According to your description, I think it should more related to 'lazy Evaluation' that appears on refresh/processing with m query formulas. You can take a look at the below blog to know more about this:

Lazy Evaluation & Query Folding in Power BI / Power Query 

In addition, you can also refer to BA_Pete 's suggestion to check the option to allows 'data previews to download in the backend' if they fixed the issue.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank You guys for helping me out, But unfortunately all the sources you mentioned didn't help

However, I found a solution after a long search.

instead of getting the data using SharePoint Folder , you should use a blank query and type 

= SharePoint.Contents(" # Sharepoint Folder ")

this should work and refresh automatically after any change in the SharePoint folder without the need of manual click Refresh

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank You guys for helping me out, But unfortunately all the sources you mentioned didn't help

However, I found a solution after a long search.

instead of getting the data using SharePoint Folder , you should use a blank query and type 

= SharePoint.Contents(" # Sharepoint Folder ")

this should work and refresh automatically after any change in the SharePoint folder without the need of manual click Refresh

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @Anonymous,

According to your description, I think it should more related to 'lazy Evaluation' that appears on refresh/processing with m query formulas. You can take a look at the below blog to know more about this:

Lazy Evaluation & Query Folding in Power BI / Power Query 

In addition, you can also refer to BA_Pete 's suggestion to check the option to allows 'data previews to download in the backend' if they fixed the issue.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
BA_Pete
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous ,

This is how Power Query is supposed to work.

When you refresh data, even though the preview in Power Query doesn't update, the new data will actually be loaded into your model for use. I guess this is to speed up the data refresh process so the system doesn't waste time refreshing the query previews at the same time.

If you go into Options & settings, you can adjust whether Power Query performs background preview refreshes while you're working. This may help alleviate your concerns as then your previews will update as you're working on other queries.

Pete

Now accepting Kudos! If my post helped you, why not give it a thumbs-up?

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.