Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Problem with query folding when incrementally refreshing on Azure SQL database table

I have a standard table on an Azure SQL database that I want to turn on incremental refresh on.

The problem is that I keep getting the "query folding" warning, and if I run the incremental refresh anyway it is painfully slow.Query folding.PNG

The table is just being loaded as is and contains a DateTime column like required in the MS guide.

The only thing I can think of being the cause of the query being non-foldable is the fact that the DateTime column also contains milliseconds.CreationTime column.PNG

Does anyone know if the DateTime format strictly has to be 'YYYY-MM-DD-HH-MM-SS' for query folding and therefore incremental refresh to work in Power BI? Maybe there is even a preferred T-SQL DateTime format like 120 etc?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@Anonymous ,

If the PBIX file was authored in a version of Power BI Desktop prior to the February release, the warning will be displayed regardless until a data refresh is performed.

Query-folding.jpg 

Reference:

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/incremental-refresh-query-folding/

Community Support Team _ Jimmy Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@Anonymous ,

If the PBIX file was authored in a version of Power BI Desktop prior to the February release, the warning will be displayed regardless until a data refresh is performed.

Query-folding.jpg 

Reference:

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/incremental-refresh-query-folding/

Community Support Team _ Jimmy Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply.

The PBIX file is from the July 2019 version of Desktop, so I doubt that is the case...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors