Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Problem with multiplying rows in table visual.

Hi guys, 

i have a troubles with table visual and multiplying rows (unwanted) and i dont know where is the problem. Thank you for your time at first. My model look like this: 

model.JPG

Thats simplified model of course. 

And this is how looks the table visual: 

tabulka_problemPBI3.JPG

Now when all the columns are from table "dimDocument", there is no problem. 

This is how looks table when use slicer (on the left), which is based od table "dimDocument". 

tabulka_slicer.pngStill working fine. 

But then i need to add measure (from table dimDocument) in my table and this is whats going to happen: 

tabulka_slicer_and_measure.png

The rows multiply. Instead of 24 rows i got 9915 rows (what is equivalent to previous number of rows before using slicer = number of all rows in "dimDocument" table). What happend? 

This is how measure looks: 

measure_table.JPG

When i use slicer on "dimDocument" table, everything looks fine and i get 24 rows --> 

tabulka_problemPBI4.JPG

Similar problem happens when i use in my table column --> Organization from "dimOrganization". Then rows multiply nine times for each document (there is nine different values in column Organization in table "dimOrganization"). I would expect 24 rows with value "Technické služby" in column Organization in my table. 

This is result: 

tabulka_9_times_multiplied_rows.png

Same behavior happens when adding column "JevSouladu" from table "factOvereniSouladu" (instead of column Organization from "dimOrganization"). But this time the rows multiply three times (there are 3 possible items in column "JevSouladu" from table "factOvereniSouladu"). But on first document --> Document number "OBJD20200010" --> there are only 2 items ("Ano" and "Nelze určit") from 3 possible items ("Ano", "Ne", "Nelze určit"). 

Check it: 

table_with_jevsouladu.png

table_overenisouladu.JPG

Is anybody able to tell me why is it behaving so weard? Or am i using my model not properly? I would like to understand the behavior/procceses behind that. 

If i use only columns from table dimDocument and measures from any table together --> everything works good. 

Thank you guys, 

Tomas

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous ,

This issue is because of 0 in return statement of your measure.

Remove that isblank condtion and check.

You will get exact rows as you want.

Thanks & regards,
Pravin Wattamwar
www.linkedin.com/in/pravin-p-wattamwar

If I resolve your problem Mark it as a solution and give kudos.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

You mentioned, the issue with Multiply. I do not see any formula having Multiplication.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I meant that number of rows grow up by adding measure and columns from different tables or adding measure and filter by column from different table. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous ,

This issue is because of 0 in return statement of your measure.

Remove that isblank condtion and check.

You will get exact rows as you want.

Thanks & regards,
Pravin Wattamwar
www.linkedin.com/in/pravin-p-wattamwar

If I resolve your problem Mark it as a solution and give kudos.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi again, 

the same problem with growing number of rows happening in another model which is stored in Visual Studio. 

model_CCM_RS.JPG

When i am in PBI Desktop in table visual, same thing like last time happend. If I have there coulmns from table "Smlouvy" and one from "VerejnopravniOrganizace" everything is fine. I am using slicer based on column "Organizace" from table "VerejnopravnOrganizace" to filter it. It shows me 13 rows. Great.

13rows.JPG

But problem happens when i add measure which looks: 

URL_RS:= "https://smlouvy.gov.cz/smlouva/" & MAX('Smlouva'[IDverze])

Than i got thousands of rows. Why? When i have same table only with this measure (no columns from foreign tables), everything works fine. Is there problem with measure or relationship between tables?

If you have any points i would be grateful. 

Have a nice day,

Tomas

Anonymous
Not applicable

Link is not opening.
Anonymous
Not applicable

The link include url address "https://smlouvy.gov.cz/smlouva/" and ID of document version. So for example: https://smlouvy.gov.cz/smlouva/11740864

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you, 

you helped me a lot. 🙂 

Have a nice day,

Tomas

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.