Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

kalleeljas
Frequent Visitor

Problem with merge, "Value was not specified" error

Hello.

Im trying to merge two tables to create a uniqe ID from customernumber and product.

The table "ANLÄGGNINGAR" contain the ID i want to use (column "Cistern").

The example below is a successful merge (i get the ID from "ANLÄGGNINGAR" into "Garplev") that i would like to do on another table:

correct merge

In the example below im trying to merge "Sitevision" and "ANLÄGGNINGAR" but i cant even see the 2nd table with the error message "Value was not specified"

merge fel

Note that i can merge from "sitevision" to "ANLÄGGNINGAR" but not the other way around. The problem is that i dont understand what "Value was not specified" means.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-micsh-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi kalleeljas,

Could you please share us some simple data about the "Sitevision" and "ANLÄGGNINGAR" tables?

I created some simple table to test and can’t reproduce the error, this should not be related with the join option selected. Please check the table information first, which I suspect the key point should be the "ANLÄGGNINGAR" table.

In addition, check your Power BI desktop version, make sure it is up-to-date.

The latest version is available in the following link:

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/desktop/

Regards

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Multa

Hello! Thanks to the author for the solution: it helped. In my case the reason was in a ciclic connections between the queries, ha-ha.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I ended up here on a DuckDuckGo search for th same error. I was getting the same error and was able to get around it with the merge as new, but that wasn't a solution.

I had a look at mine again and noticed that I was creating a circular reference even though I wasn't getting the circular reference error. I had the main query and referenced this main query to do some cleaning and then tried to merge this new query back into the main query! (Stupid I know). I stripped the main into 2 queries (raw data + cleaning queries) and the third query to do other matching etc. Query 2 and 3 referened Query 1 and works fine. 

Query 2 reference Query 1 > Query 1 merge Query 2 = "Value was not specified"

Query 2 and 3 reference Query 1 (raw data) > Query 2 merge Query 3 = OK

kalleeljas
Frequent Visitor

I made a workaround to solve the problem, I tried again recently with an updated version of PBI desktop and It worked.
v-micsh-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi kalleeljas,

Could you please share us some simple data about the "Sitevision" and "ANLÄGGNINGAR" tables?

I created some simple table to test and can’t reproduce the error, this should not be related with the join option selected. Please check the table information first, which I suspect the key point should be the "ANLÄGGNINGAR" table.

In addition, check your Power BI desktop version, make sure it is up-to-date.

The latest version is available in the following link:

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/desktop/

Regards

Anonymous
Not applicable

I worked around this error by "Merging Queries as New" instead of just a merge. It's not really a solution but it allowed me to get around the join problem!

BhaveshPatel
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi there,

The reason behind this is that The LEFT JOIN returns all rows from the left table (table1), with the matching rows in the right table (table2). The result is NULL in the right side when there is no match and PowerQuery smart sense doesn't even let you create that join if the condition for that is not met.

Hope this has clarified your understanding of left join.

Thanks & Regards,
Bhavesh

Love the Self Service BI.
Please use the 'Mark as answer' link to mark a post that answers your question. If you find a reply helpful, please remember to give Kudos.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.