Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Problem with filter context

Hi

I am having some issues with understanding filter contexts, specifically with a date dimension. Hopefully someone smarter than myself can point me in the right direction.

Please see this pbix-file -> File

Bonus theme file -> Theme

In the file I have a data model designed to visualize time weighted returns for a chosen portfolio in a chosen currency and over a specified date period, thus 3 dimensions of choice for the report viewer (thus 3 slicers). I calculate the indexed return for each portfolio in each currency before visualization and the time series is stored in the CachedPerformance[Index].

What I am trying to accomplish is letting the index series always start at 100 when the viewer changes the date slicer starting point. To accomplish this I create some measures:

* [TWR - Index] -> The thought here is to simply "pull up" the column value from table CachedPerformance and rebase it to the currently filtered date context.

* [TWR - Rebase Factor] -> Used by [TWR - Index] to calculate a rebased index value.

My question:
The pbix file is set to have 2017-04-26 (there is date up until 2017-04-27) as the ending date for the date slicer on report page "Single Portfolio - Performance". The reason I need to do this is because otherwise I wont have a defined filter context for the date dimension and my measure [TWR - Rebase Factor] fails to function, or rather, there is no filter applied and thus ALLSELECTED(TimeLine[Date]) becomes the full timeline and my rebase factor becomes blank which in turn, makes the [TWR Index] fail.

Right now the central part of [TWR - Rebase Factor] is:

CALCULATE(SUM(Cachedperformance[Index]); FIRSTDATE( ALLSELECTED(TimeLine[Date])));

I would like it to look something like this:

CALCULATE(SUM(Cachedperformance[Index]); MAX( FIRSTDATE( ALLSELECTED(TimeLine[Date])); Portfolio[PortfolioStartDate] );

The problem is that I cannot understand how to make that happen. Portfolio[PortfolioStartDate] is a column in the Portfolio table and thus a defined value for each portfolio and should be filtered by my choice of portfolio in the slicer for that dimension.

I have tried different ways, such as:

CALCULATE(SUM(Cachedperformance[Index]); MAX( FIRSTDATE( ALLSELECTED(TimeLine[Date]));LASTNONBLANK(Portfolio[PortfolioStartDate];Portfolio[PortfolioStartDate] ) ));

This fails to function because of "FIRSTDATE being used in a TRUE/FALSE expression that is used as a table filter expression". I don't really understand why this is unallowed. I was allowed to use FIRSTDATE before I introduced the max function in the expression. Clearly I don't fully understand how to treat filters and contexts and it is driving me mad. Please educate me on what I am doing wrong here.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @MagnusRosenPBI,

Because FIRSTDATE function returns a table containing a single column and single row with a date value, we cannot directly use FIRSTDATE nested in MAX. That is why the error prompts "FIRSTDATE being used in a TRUE/FALSE expression that is used as a table filter expression". In your scenario, please replace MAX with MAXX whose syntax is like MAXX(Table,expression).

Best regards,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @MagnusRosenPBI,

Because FIRSTDATE function returns a table containing a single column and single row with a date value, we cannot directly use FIRSTDATE nested in MAX. That is why the error prompts "FIRSTDATE being used in a TRUE/FALSE expression that is used as a table filter expression". In your scenario, please replace MAX with MAXX whose syntax is like MAXX(Table,expression).

Best regards,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Yuliana

I hear what you are saying but there is still something I am missing.

If I write:

CALCULATE(
SUMX(PortfolioPerformance;PortfolioPerformance[Index]);
MAXX( FIRSTDATE( ALLSELECTED(TimeLine[Date]) ); "expression"  )
)

What do i put instead of "expression". I know how to treat the MAXX function when I am deailing with a defined table (expression evaluated for each row) but here i am getting a table returned from FIRSTDATE, how do reference this anonymous table?

Also, I want MAXX to find the max value of two dates:

• FIRSTDATE( ALLSELECTED(TimeLine[Date]) ) -- one single date
  • Date(2016;9;30) -- static date that might be retrieved from another table

Basically I want to calculate SUMX(PortfolioPerformance;PortfolioPerformance[Index]) for a specific date. This date should be the largest of the first selected date and another static date.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.