Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Problem with data transform

I have data with capital text in excel like this

itemCode
10019000000Mivpu
20019000000MivpU

When I import it into Power BI, they are transformed into this like

itemCode
10019000000MivpU
20019000000MivpU

The last word u in the first code is capitialised then make it similar to the second code which bias data.

Do you have anyway to fix it? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
JosefPrakljacic
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Unfortunately I have to tell you that this will not be possible without workarounds. Here is an idea you should upvote.

It's really sad that it still can't be done today.

Workaround -> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/47830288/case-sensitivity-in-power-bi

If this post was helpful may I ask you to mark it as solution and give it some kudos?

Have a nice day!

BR,
Josef

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey,

as @JosefPrakljacic  already mentioned, this is not possible. I just want add this to provide a little more insight, even if this will not help to solve the "issue" using some kind of workaround.

The Power Query engine uses case-sensitive locale for its operations, whereas Analysis Services Tabular (the storage engine used inside Poewr BI to answer all our analytical questions) uses a case-insensitive local. This means that the latter just stores one item instead of two.
For this the remove duplicates transformation task inside Power Query will treat both strings as different, this can make creating relationships between tables a time-consuming task, until one discovers this behavior.

I assume this behavior will not change in the near future, as I imagine this a huge engineering task.

Regards,

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany
JosefPrakljacic
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Unfortunately I have to tell you that this will not be possible without workarounds. Here is an idea you should upvote.

It's really sad that it still can't be done today.

Workaround -> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/47830288/case-sensitivity-in-power-bi

If this post was helpful may I ask you to mark it as solution and give it some kudos?

Have a nice day!

BR,
Josef

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.