Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Hyperchef1969
Helper V
Helper V

Problem with creating connection in model

Hi, I have a problem with refreshing my data. The refresh is not finishing 'creating connection in model'. I cancelled it after an hour. These are 8 excel files with a total of about 50MB. It worked oke before, but for some reason not anymore now. 

Can somebody assist?

2020-01-28 13_07_30-Purchasing_spend_and_savings - Power BI Desktop.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Allan,

Problem solved by removing empty columns from one excel sheet in the query editor. Somehow all empty columns were imported into Power BI. Unchecking data load options did not solve the problem.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-alq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Hyperchef1969 

Based on your description, I have something to confirm. 
Are your files in On Premise  or in the cloud/ Online? Is your workspace premium or shared?. 

Scheduled refresh for imported datasets timeout after two hours. This timeout is increased to five hours for datasets in Premium workspaces. If you encounter this limit, It is suggested to consider reducing the size or complexity of your dataset, or consider breaking the dataset into smaller pieces.

For further information, you may refer to the following link.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/refresh-troubleshooting-refresh-scenarios

Best Regards

Allan

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Allan,

The problem occurs in Power BI desktop when refreshing the data. The 8 excel files are located on a network server on premise. I don't have the idea that the amount of data can be the problem (50MB). What is the software exactly doing in the phase 'creating connection in model', because this is exactly the problem. 

Thanks for you help.

Hi, @Hyperchef1969 

I'd like to suggest you uncheck the following options in Power BI Desktop and then refresh your data model.

c1.png

If the above error still occurs, please try to re-connect to the data source in Power BI Desktop, get columns and rows you need to build report.

Best Regards

Allan

Hi Allan,

Problem solved by removing empty columns from one excel sheet in the query editor. Somehow all empty columns were imported into Power BI. Unchecking data load options did not solve the problem.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.