Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

AlexanderE

Problem with comparing two different years annual result in a clustered column chart

Hello everyone!

I have a problem i want to solve in Power Bi. What i want to do is to simply visualize information from two excel files with data from two different years in a clustered column chart in a drill down structure in Power BI. Say for example that i am a owner of a sales company in Sweden with several stores that sells different types of products. A simple annual report of the total sale for 2015 and 2016 could look as the two tables below:

pic1.jpgpic3.jpg

Not that for one of the tables the results from two of the stores are not included.

When i want to make a chart with the information from the two tables in Power BI i make a hierarchy according to:

Region

--------Store Code

---------------------Product

So far, so good. But the problem is when i finally want to make my chart in Power BI one of the years total sale is like constant and doesnt change. See picture below:

pic2.jpg

I have tried to make it a bit more clear by markin it with a red line in the picture above.

Does anyone out there know why my chart isnt working?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @AlexanderE,

Your issue is that you have your information in two tables. On the query editor do a append of the two table into one then you are abble to get the expected result, be sure before apending both table that you identifiy the year on each one.

Are you getting your information from what type of data source? Depending on the sources there are several resourcer on PBI that will allow you to append both table without big issues or programing.

Regards,

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @AlexanderE,

Your issue is that you have your information in two tables. On the query editor do a append of the two table into one then you are abble to get the expected result, be sure before apending both table that you identifiy the year on each one.

Are you getting your information from what type of data source? Depending on the sources there are several resourcer on PBI that will allow you to append both table without big issues or programing.

Regards,

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

Hello @MFelix!

Many thanks for your reply! As i thought, the solution to the problem was simple. I did as you told med and created a append of the two tables with different  of the years that i want to differentiate and it works just fine!

The data source is excel-files that are generated in FME (Feature Manipulation Engine) that i use in my work.

Again, many thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.