Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

MichaelBN
Frequent Visitor

Problem with city data and a forced many-to-many relationship

I have two tables and I want to compare values between the two. The two tables both have a COUNTROWS() measure, and a City column (I basically want to measure rows per city) --- N.B The tables also have other columns such as user_id, longitude and latitude etc. 

The tables both look like this:
expt 1.PNG

For some reason, when I try and make a relationship between the two, it forces a many-to-many relationship. To circumvent this problem, I have introduced a new custom table with City Names, which only has distinct entries. It looks like this:

expt 2.PNG

In the picture below, I want to make a relationship between the left table[By] and the middle table [Bynavn], AND between the right table[city] and the middle table [Bynavn], in order to get a common denominator. 

excpt 3.PNG

However, when I make the relations stated above I get a forced many-to-many relationship for both tables, and I am trying to figure out why. 

[Both tables are connected to a 'Date' table, if that matters]. 

3 REPLIES 3
v-diye-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @MichaelBN 

You can refer to the similar solved post for help: 

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Forced-to-use-many-to-many-relationship/td-p/681147 

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Forced-into-many-to-many-relationship/td-p/486504 

Community Support Team _ Dina Ye
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
quickly.
judspud
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

Hi @MichaelBN 

Is it possible you have multiple Nulls in the bridging table?

if so, filter these out in the query editor and retry creating the relationship 🙂

Thanks,

George

Hi @judspud 

I don't seem to have any null values in either of the three tables. Any other idea about what might be causing this issue?

/Michael

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.