Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

wagahai

Problem with character set

I have a report linked using a MySQL database as a data source. As I refreshed the data today, the following error shows "An error happened while reading data from the provider: 'Character set 'utf8mb3' is not supported by .Net Framework.'"

This strikes me as odd since all the data is using ut8mb4 and had no issues refereshing the data yesterday. No changes were made to the database's nor the tables's structure  between yesterday and today.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
wagahai

The root of the problem seems to be with MySQL 8.0.29. After downgrading to MySQL 5.7 everything works OK.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
wagahai

The root of the problem seems to be with MySQL 8.0.29. After downgrading to MySQL 5.7 everything works OK.

reymartins
Frequent Visitor

Update - Solved when updated MySQL NET Connector to version 8.0.28.  A tip : do not unistall your current connector version and install 8.0.28 directly from the .msi downloaded. Use "MySQL Installer - Community" instead to upgrade it. To test if the solution took effect, close PBI and launch it again - as per my experience the connector must be reloaded by PBI at launch. (btw, it did not worked with 8.0.29 in my case, but it could be the case that I did not relaunched PBI). 

reymartins
Frequent Visitor

@v-luwang-msft , I am facing the same problem, that started exactly in the same date @wagahai reported. I have reloaded 2 MySql tables which had columns with utf8mb3 character set, changing the char set to utf8mb4. All columns now are utf8mb4, but I am still getting the same message complaining about utf8mb3. PBI stopped loading without happening any change in the MySQL database schema. It is possible to assure that the DB was not converted to MariaDB. 

The character set of all columns in the tables from the DB that is loaded by PBI is now as below.

TABLE_NAMECOLUMN_NAMECHARACTER_SET_NAME
OVERALLSID_OVERALLNULL
OVERALLSRUN_TYPEutf8mb4
OVERALLSTEST_STATIONutf8mb4
OVERALLSSTATION_TYPEutf8mb4
OVERALLSLOCATIONutf8mb4
OVERALLSDATE_TIME_STARTNULL
OVERALLSDATE_TIME_ENDNULL
OVERALLSDURATIONNULL
OVERALLSOV_KEY_PBIutf8mb4
RUN_RESULTSID_RUNNULL
RUN_RESULTSRUN_TYPEutf8mb4
RUN_RESULTSRR_KEY_PBIutf8mb4
RUN_RESULTSLOCATIONutf8mb4
RUN_RESULTSRUN_STATUSutf8mb4
RUN_RESULTSMODELutf8mb4
RUN_RESULTSSERIALutf8mb4
RUN_RESULTSDATE_TIME_STARTNULL
RUN_RESULTSDATE_TIME_ENDNULL
RUN_RESULTSMODEL_FAMILYutf8mb4
RUN_RESULTSSENSORutf8mb4
RUN_RESULTSDURATIONNULL
RUN_RESULTSID_OVERALLNULL
RUN_RESULTSTEST_STATIONutf8mb4
RUN_RESULTSSTATION_TYPEutf8mb4
RUN_RESULTSOV_KEY_PBIutf8mb4
TEST_RESULTSID_RESULTNULL
TEST_RESULTSTEST_NAMEutf8mb4
TEST_RESULTSID_RUNNULL
TEST_RESULTSRUN_TYPEutf8mb4
TEST_RESULTSRR_KEY_PBIutf8mb4
TEST_RESULTSITERATIONutf8mb4
TEST_RESULTSTEST_STATUSutf8mb4
TEST_RESULTSDATE_TIME_STARTNULL
TEST_RESULTSDATE_TIME_ENDNULL
TEST_RESULTSDURATIONNULL
YIELDSERIALutf8mb4
YIELDID_JOBNULL
YIELDDATE_TIME_STARTNULL
YIELDDATE_TIME_ENDNULL
YIELDDURATIONNULL
YIELDDATE_TIME_START_JOBNULL
YIELDDATE_TIME_END_JOBNULL
YIELDDURATION_JOBNULL
YIELDMODELutf8mb4
YIELDMODEL_FAMILYutf8mb4
YIELDSENSORutf8mb4
YIELD_MODEL_DATEmodelutf8mb4
YIELD_MODEL_DATEDATENULL
YIELD_MODEL_DATEQTYNULL

v-luwang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @wagahai ,

The report is built on a MySQL database.
If the MySQL database has been converted to MariaDB, this will result in a utf8mb3 error when establishing a connection. And the data source setting is changed from MySQL database to MariaDB, which causes the dataset to be treated as a completely new source. Check if your database is converted to MariaDB.

similar error refer:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Refresh-data-error-Character-set-utf8mb3-is-not-supported-b... 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Best Regards

Lucien

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.