Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

AndrejZitnay
Post Patron
Post Patron

Problem with Opening / Closing balance. They need to be base for follow up measures.

Hello all,

I have my table with opening and closing balance.

It does works fine however I need to use sum of [opening balnce] & [monthly new] for chain of follow up measures.

Follow up measures seems to be fine on monhly basis however totals are wrong.

Here is one example of dataset.

My follow up Measures 2 & 3 are fine on monthly basis but total is wrong. 

I need to get totals right. 

Can you help me out with some workaround for opening balance?
I need to do sum out of that measure. It can be used only for follow up measures.

I can leave original opening balance in my talbe.

Measure table.JPG

Opening and closing balance follow up measures.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@AndrejZitnay , I would expected total same as last month opening balance

else we can try

OpeningBalance = CALCULATE(sumx(values(MonthTable[Month]),[Balance]),FILTER(ALLSELECTED(MonthTable),MonthTable[Month]<=EOMONTH(MAX(MonthTable[Month]),-1)))

if this did not work line-level but work at grand total level, we can use isinscope to switch formula  https://www.kasperonbi.com/use-isinscope-to-get-the-right-hierarchy-level-in-dax/

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @AndrejZitnay,

It seems like a common date range analysis requirement, you can take look at the following blog 'start date', 'end date' parts if they suitable for your requirement:

Before You Post, Read This #'start date', 'end date' 

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@AndrejZitnay , Table might not have a continuous date that can be an issue in the opening balance

Try like

Opening balance = CALCULATE([All measure ],filter(allselected(Table),Table[Date] <=eomonth(max(Table[Date]),-1)))

Hello @amitchandak ,

thanks for your help.

What do you mean byt coninuous date? 
My calendar is driven by 1st day of each month and they are not gaps in the month.

OpeningBalance = CALCULATE([Balance],FILTER(ALLSELECTED(MonthTable),MonthTable[Month]<=EOMONTH(MAX(MonthTable[Month]),-1)))

I have same outocme as above screenshot.

Opening and closing balance is correct. With new measure I can still achieve correct figures.

Problem is with follow up measurments. 

I can't get right total.

Opening / Closing balance isn't required to have total however [opening balnce] + [monthly new] needs to have total as this is first mesurment in long chain of measurments. 

Total isn't correct after  [opening balnce] + [monthly new] hence I think that opening or closing balance needs some work around.

I sitll don't have correct total for Follow up measure 2 & 3

Andrej

@AndrejZitnay , I would expected total same as last month opening balance

else we can try

OpeningBalance = CALCULATE(sumx(values(MonthTable[Month]),[Balance]),FILTER(ALLSELECTED(MonthTable),MonthTable[Month]<=EOMONTH(MAX(MonthTable[Month]),-1)))

if this did not work line-level but work at grand total level, we can use isinscope to switch formula  https://www.kasperonbi.com/use-isinscope-to-get-the-right-hierarchy-level-in-dax/

Hello @amitchandak ,

My opening blanace is same as closing balnace from last month. That is working. 

Problem is elswhere.

Totals in Follow up Measures aren't showing right total.

Follow up measure 1 is (Openning Balance + Monhlty New) /100

Follow up Measure 2 & 3 are linked to Follow up measrue 1 

Follow up measure 3 is Follow up Mesure 1 * ratio

Follow up measure 2 is 7% of measure 3

You can see that sum of Openning Balance & Monthly new isn't correct it should be 219,187 and not 112,425 as on table. Opening and closing balance problem.JPG

@AndrejZitnay , Try the sumx way on those measures. 

Can you share sample data and sample output in table format? Or a sample pbix after removing sensitive data.

Hello @amitchandak ,

I have tried sumx but same outcome.

I have created sample PBIX

https://ulozto.cz/tamhle/09aKv8imMdia/name/Nahrano-17-2-2021-v-16-26-19

All formulas are the same as in my real data only my table 2 & 3 have much more rows.

For example Deduction 4 for October 2020 might be in 25 rows but total is 20

You can see that my Measure 1, 2 & 3 have correct figures in rows.

But my total is wrong.

This is my biggest problem which affect whole model.

thanks.

Andrej

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.