Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Brian_M
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Problem with Map visualisation on Power BI Desktop since August update

I have found a problem since the August 2016 PBI Desktop update in that Map visualisations in existing PBIX files don't always render the map anymore.

In case it helps someone, here's how I fixed the issue:
> Delete all map visualisations from all pages of the report
> Save and exit
> Reopen the PBIX file

> Readd your Map visualisations

Cheers

8 REPLIES 8
adrian
Frequent Visitor

I have the same issue with custom maps (TopoJSON) that were working prior to the August update. When I opened the pbix files created prior the August update they work just fine, but I am not able to add new custom maps.

Below is the error I am getting when I try to use a custom map:

ShapeMap-08.2016.JPG

@Brian_M

The map visual in a July release's pbix can be renderred well in Aug's in my test, can you share the problematic pbix?

@adrian

The shape map works in my test as well, could you share the TOPOJSON in your case?

Hi @Eric_Zhang

Marco Russo seems to be reporting the same issue with the custom visuals here:

http://okviz.com/blog/power-bi-august-2016-issue-with-custom-visuals/?platform=hootsuite

As far as I know, the issue I reported isn't yet resolved. The work around is to remove the visuals, save and re-open before re-adding.

There are a few different TopoJSON files I am working with. Attached is one of the files that are not working after the August update and when I try to use it I get the error message:  

https://www.dropbox.com/s/08m7dggc31bxeyd/map1.json?dl=0

@adrian wrote:

There are a few different TopoJSON files I am working with. Attached is one of the files that are not working after the August update and when I try to use it I get the error message:  

https://www.dropbox.com/s/08m7dggc31bxeyd/map1.json?dl=0

@adrian

I've tried to add that topojson with Jul's release and indeed it doesn't return an "unexpected error" as the August does. Regarding the different behavior, I think the PG team has enhanced something on the shaped map in Aug's release.

Regarding the unexpected error, based on my research, the error details say

Error: Failed to execute 'btoa' on 'Window': The string to be encoded contains characters outside of the Latin1 range.

which is some error regarding encoding. Check WindowBase64.btoa()if you have intest on why the error raises.

I've checked the uploaded topojson and found many un-ANSI characters.

Capture.PNG

After replacing these characters the topojson can be added without error. However shapemap is messed up.

Capture.PNG

So one thing to confrim from your end, when saying "that are not working after the August update", did you load the topojson correctly in Jul's release?

An un-ANSI characters removed topojson for your reference.

@Eric_Zhang Thank you very much for looking into this issue. This exact shape map was working prior the August release, and acctually it still works fine in my old pbix files. Let me remove the un-ANSI charaters and play with this shape map. I'll let you know if I can make it work. 

adrian
Frequent Visitor

@Eric_Zhang I was able to get the custom map to work. I had to remove all the un-ANSI characters from the TopJSON file based on your suggestion above and then change the Projection to equirectangular. 

settings.png

Before the August update the un-ANSI characters were supported in the custom maps. 

Thank you!!

@adrian

So if your problem is resolved, please accept the reply that makes sense as solution.

By the way, could you share the fixed topojson along with the test pbix? I don't load the map well even after removing the un-ansi characters.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.