Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

imani_tech
Frequent Visitor

Problem with GROUP BY for Duplicates

The source table has 3 columns:

[User]
[Delegate]
[Permissions]

The three columns combined should create a compound natural key, but I have found some duplicates using T-SQL;

SELECT
  [User],
  [Delegate],
  [Permissions] 
FROM [dbo].[tblImport]
WHERE [Delegate] <> 'None'
GROUP BY
  [User],
  [Delegate],
  [Permissions]
HAVING COUNT(*) > 1;

I tried to re-create this using Power BI.  I went into Power Query mode, selected the three columns, clicked Transform|Group By, and created a new column called DataCount that uses the "Count Rows" Operation. 

Power BI Screen Shot.JPG

However, the new column has the value "1" for every row, even the ones that should be duplicates with a count > 1.  What am I doing wrong?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @imani_tech,

Made a small CSV file with the same fields as you have:

UserDelegatePermissions

AAAAAA
AAABBB
AAABBB
BBBAAA
CCCAAA
CCCBBB
CCCCCC
CCCCCC

As you can see I have repeated items, then made the grouping in Query editor and the result gives the duplicate in the count rows:

GRoup.png

Are you already getting the information from the CSV or from the SQL that you had in your previous post?

Regards,

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @imani_tech,

To what I can see from your SQL when you do a group by the 3 fields in your table and choose the ones that have a double count you are returning a single value for row and not the duplicated values.

To replicate this though in Power BI and return the ones that are above 1  count you need to take the group by part of your SQL and then use the Group by in Power query to return 1,2, 3... in the DataCount column.

Don't know if this is just a test of the capabilities of PBI but if your data source is already refined no need to go back and ungroup and then group it on PBI, let the SQL do that for you.

Regards,

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Thanks for the response.  I'm actually supposed to complete this project within Power BI, since the data source is a .csv file.  However, I imported the .csv into SQL Server just to confirm that I'm doing the right thing.  

If you upload the CSV file to PBI and do what you were doing you should get the correct result.

Regards,

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

It should work but it isn't.

Hi @imani_tech,

Made a small CSV file with the same fields as you have:

UserDelegatePermissions

AAAAAA
AAABBB
AAABBB
BBBAAA
CCCAAA
CCCBBB
CCCCCC
CCCCCC

As you can see I have repeated items, then made the grouping in Query editor and the result gives the duplicate in the count rows:

GRoup.png

Are you already getting the information from the CSV or from the SQL that you had in your previous post?

Regards,

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

I created a new query and followed your steps again.  It worked!  Thank you such much.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.