Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Problem with Analysis Services, relationships and PowerBI Desktop

Hello everyone,

I am working on a PowerBI dashboard based on an Azure Analysis Services connection and I have issues in drawing my diagram.

My DataWareHouse follows a snowflake schema and all table relationships have many-many cardinality and bi-directional cross filters.

I would like to hide several fields – some of which are keys – for a certain role defined in my analysis services model.

So, when I configured my model as connection in PowerBI, I am not able to show data!

If all fields are shown, my Analysis Services model works fine – but when I hide some fields, I have got that popup error:

Alegeo_0-1606467165283.jpeg

It is an unexpected error, and it seems there is an error about a C++ script “xltablevalue.cpp”.

So, Does PowerBI allow us to configure many-many cardinality and hide relationship keys – or I made a mistake inside my schema?

Thanks in advance!

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

In the Microsoft documentation,  I have found that page :

https://docs.microsoft.com/fr-fr/power-bi/guidance/relationships-many-to-many

Do you think I would get better results slotting an intermediary table between my two tables of interests as mentionned in that doc ?

I should try that trick!

v-stephen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

I found the following description in the blog What Fields to Hide in Your Power BI Solution?.

If there is a field, that you need to bring into the model for any reason, but won’t use it in visualization, then this is a good candidate to be hidden. here are some of these types of fields:

• Fields used in a Relationship
  • Fields used to Sort Other Fields
  • Fields used in Hierarchy
  • Fields used in DAX Calculations, but not in visuals directly

I think the field used in the relationship might be the situation you are facing. The following is a detailed explanation:

In the example below; DimProduct and FactInternetSales are related to each other using ProductKey:

2.png

We cannot remove the ProductKey from this model, because we need it to connect the two tables. However, for users, the ProductKey is unnecessary, because they will use other Product columns such as Product Number, Name, Size, Color, etc. So these fields are a good candidate to be hidden from the report view (from both tables).

Sorry, I don't know the language in your picture very well. But after my general research, I found these posts may be helpful to you, please refer to:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Couldn-t-load-the-data-for-this-visual-Working-in-Desktop-but/td-p/400301

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Could-Not-Load-the-Data-from-this-Visual/td-p/431773

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/could-not-load-data-for-the-visual/td-p/52903

Best Regards,

Stephen Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-stephen-msft,

Thank you for your big reply!
I apologise for my late reply...

I carrefully read the link you provided and that is not how I would like to hide some fields.
To hide fields to a certain role, I use Visual Studio and through the "Role Manager" menu.

image.png

Do you think that the way of hiding fields through PowerBI, and the way through the Visual Studio role manager menu are the same ?

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , In power bi I doubt you can hide columns from Live connection. Where/when are you getting this error?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi amitchandak,

Thank you for your reply and so sorry for my late respond!

Here are further elements:

• I draw my model in Analysis Services with Visual Studio and I hide some fields for a role (as I mentionned in my 10 minutes ago post :));
  • Then, I set up my connection in my PowerBI Desktop file as an Analysis Services Model. And the error occurs when I would like to plot a table vizualisation with some fields which belong to the table I have hidden some fields.

Hope my explanations were clear enough !

Please let me know if I have to bring some extra elements.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.