Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Problem while multiplying 2 columns

Hello,

My objective is to multiply one column (column A) with an other. The second column must change (lets say with 4 different columns 1, column 2, column 3 and column 4)) when the user selects on a filter the one he wants.

To do so, I make a new table (Column Table) with the corresponding title of the 4 columns (so the Column Table has only 1 column and 4 rows with" column 1", "column 2",...).

Then with the function SWITCH, I create a new measure that is the result of the multiplication beetween column A and column 1, 2, 3 or 4 in function of the Column Table which is filtered by the user. 

It is possible to print the result of this product only on one table and every chart I want. The operation works perfectly, and select a column in the filter makes the measure result change as expected.

But I can see this measure only on one table, I can't create another table and put the measure in whereas the table has exactly the same parameters. It shows : A table of multiple values was supplied where a single value was expected.... Concerning charts, I can put the measure in most of the charts I want....

Thanks for helping me.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Anonymous ,

Please change your measure to the following:

Result = IF(ISFILTERED(Table2[Coefficient Choice])&&HASONEVALUE(Table2[Coefficient Choice]),IF(LASTNONBLANK(Table2[Coefficient Choice],0)="Coefficient 1",MAX(Table1[Marks])*MAX(Table1[Coefficient 1]),IF(LASTNONBLANK(Table2[Coefficient Choice],0)="Coefficient 2",MAX(Table1[Marks])*MAX(Table1[Coefficient 2]),MAX(Table1[Marks])*MAX(Table1[Coefficient 3]))),BLANK())

Reference:
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Knowledge-Base/Dynamic-column-based-on-slicer-selection/ta-p/162635

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@Anonymous ,

Please share sample data of your tables and post expected result based on sample data here. There is a blog for your reference.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-Get-Your-Question-Answered-Quickly/ba-p/38490

Regards,
Lydia

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, sorry i wanted to do it too quickly.

Here are my datas,

image.png

I want to multiply the [Marks] column with one of the 3 columns ([Coefficient 1], [Coefficient 2], [Coefficient 3]). The user can choose the column he wants to be multiplied by the column [Marks].

To do so I created the simple following table :

image.png

And I 'put' it in a filter : 

image.png

then, I created a measure with the following formula :

image.png

So when the user select one of the Coefficient, the result is the multiplication of the [Marks] column with the selected column.

Now creating a table to see the column [result] with the column students works sometimes but sometimes no. nd if I want to make charts with this datas some are working and some no. 

See the followong screenshot with a working table, a non-working one and a working chart. 

The two table have the same parameters....

image.png

When I change of coefficient in the filter all datas are automaticly updated as expected.

But I do not understand why there is sometimes an error. The error message is : 

image.png

I hope it is clearer now,

Cyprien

@Anonymous ,

Please change your measure to the following:

Result = IF(ISFILTERED(Table2[Coefficient Choice])&&HASONEVALUE(Table2[Coefficient Choice]),IF(LASTNONBLANK(Table2[Coefficient Choice],0)="Coefficient 1",MAX(Table1[Marks])*MAX(Table1[Coefficient 1]),IF(LASTNONBLANK(Table2[Coefficient Choice],0)="Coefficient 2",MAX(Table1[Marks])*MAX(Table1[Coefficient 2]),MAX(Table1[Marks])*MAX(Table1[Coefficient 3]))),BLANK())

Reference:
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Knowledge-Base/Dynamic-column-based-on-slicer-selection/ta-p/162635

Regards,
Lydia

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @v-yuezhe-msft 

Thanks for your answer, it works !

Actually my formula works also when I replace the VALUES() by MAX() as you use to make the column product.

Do you know why it works using MAX() instead of VALUES() ?

Thanks again,

Cyprien

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.