cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
ChristianDiscer Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Problem using custom shape map

Converted shapefile (projection "transverse_mercator") to a Topo JSON file using the website http://mapshaper.org/ but the resulting JSON file has display problems.  Here's a screenshot: (1) The left image displays the shapefile in ArcGIS. (2) The top & bottom right are the JSON maps displayed within PBI using different projections.

ScreenShot.jpgScreenCapture

I've even "simplified" the edges of the original shapefile to reduce the number of verticies before converting to JSON.

FYI - The location attributes (from an excel file) are correctly applying to the different areas within PBI.

Any ideas of what I should do?  Thank you.

Power BI version: 2.37.4464.361 64-bit (July, 2016)

Windows version: Windows 7 Pro 64-bit (SP1)

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
deldersveld
Advisor

Re: Problem using custom shape map

I believe that when I converted your file, I lined it up with WGS 84 / EPSG 4326 -- geographic.

Frequent Visitor

@deldersveld Thank you so much, that works great!!  Here's are screen captures of the process.

ScreenShot01.jpgStep #1: select the shapefile using ArcGIS Project tool & set parameters

ScreenShot02.jpgStep #2: Parameters selected

ScreenShot03.jpgStep #3: Use mapshaper.org to convert shapefile to json format

ScreenShot04.jpgStep #4: Save as TopoJSON

ScreenShot05.jpgStep #5: Use TopoJSON file in Power BISmiley Very Happy

17 REPLIES 17
Moderator v-caliao-msft

Hi @ChristianDiscer,

I just tested to import an map.shp file into http://mapshaper.org/ and then export the map into TopoJSON file format. Loading it into Power BI works without any additional configuration from my side, with Power BI the same version as you posted.

So I suspect the issue here should be mostly related with the shapefile you used here. If convenient, would it be available for you to share the .shp file here for us to take a further test?

In addition, take a try to modify the Format section (the paintbrush icon) General part and see if it would help in such situation.
Adding some reference: Shape Maps in Power BI Desktop (Preview).

Regards,

Charlie Liao

Frequent Visitor

Thanks @v-caliao-msft

Did not see a way to attach a file so use this Dropbox link to grab the file.  The shapefile files are in the ZIP along with an Excel spreadsheet to "link" the map area names to: PolTwpPoly.ZIP via dropbox

Also, tried various format settings but no luck.

deldersveld
Advisor

@ChristianDiscer: This ended up being an issue with the original transverse mercator projection. I opened the file in QGIS, converted it to mercator, and exported it back out as a shapefile. From there, it was the same process using mapshaper to convert to topojson.

This file should work: https://www.dropbox.com/s/mx4lig1vmvk4ihw/PolyTestShape.json

PolyTest.PNG

Frequent Visitor

@deldersveld Your file conversion works very well - thank you.

However, I don't know how to properly re-project and/or transform a shapefile from my system for mapshaper.org.  ArcGIS contains conversion tools, but I'm not familiar enough to know what settings to use.

Should I use a "Geographic" or "Projected" Coordinate System?  Then there are many choices below these two options.

I used mapshaper.org to convert your json to a shapefile hoping to see its geographic information, but ArcGIS shows the coordinate system as "undefined."  Which means I don't know what to geographic transformation data settings to use. Smiley Frustrated

Does anyone have an idea? 

deldersveld
Advisor

I believe that when I converted your file, I lined it up with WGS 84 / EPSG 4326 -- geographic.

Frequent Visitor

@deldersveld Thank you so much, that works great!!  Here's are screen captures of the process.

ScreenShot01.jpgStep #1: select the shapefile using ArcGIS Project tool & set parameters

ScreenShot02.jpgStep #2: Parameters selected

ScreenShot03.jpgStep #3: Use mapshaper.org to convert shapefile to json format

ScreenShot04.jpgStep #4: Save as TopoJSON

ScreenShot05.jpgStep #5: Use TopoJSON file in Power BISmiley Very Happy

deldersveld
Advisor

@ChristianDiscer: Great. I don't have an ArcGIS license, and I used QGIS. If/when I blog this, can I use your screenshots for ArcGIS users alongside my own?

Frequent Visitor

Yes, by all means use the images in anyway possible.  Thanks again for your help!!

deldersveld
Advisor