Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

MbProg
Helper II
Helper II

Problem to visualize data in table diagram

Hello,

I have the following data in my Power BI Dataset:

Unbenannt.png

Now I want to visualize this data in a table diagram like this:

Unbenannt.png

But the point is, I don't want to pivot or unpivot the dataset, because I have already unpivoted it to get this data for other reports and I need this structure

How can I accomplish this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi MbProg,

>> what do you recommend: Your solution by chaning the query and show in matrix or just add measures and display it in tables? Which is better regarding to the performance?

In my opinion, alejandro’s solution is easier, but it needs to fix the year value in the measure. If you use my method, you needn’t to worry about it. As in my measures, it returns maximum and minimum years of current table automatically. Besides, after improving my method, you can also display data in a matrix properly. Please refer to below steps:

1. Use selectcolumns function to format the records.

Capture2.PNG 

Dax:

Table2= UNION(

SELECTCOLUMNS( DISTINCT( ALLEXCEPT('Table','Table'[Amount],'Table'[Date])),"Company Name",[Company],"Date","diff","Sales Amount",[Diff]),

SELECTCOLUMNS( DISTINCT( ALLEXCEPT('Table','Table'[Amount],'Table'[Date])),"Company Name",[Company],"Date","diff pect","Sales Amount",[diff Pect]))

Capture.PNG

2. Use union function to merge these records to old table.

Dax:

Table 2 = UNION(SELECTCOLUMNS('Sales Record', "Company Name",[Company Name],"Date",YEAR([Date]),"Sales Amount",[Sales Amount]),

UNION(

SELECTCOLUMNS( DISTINCT( ALLEXCEPT('Table','Table'[Amount],'Table'[Date])),"Company Name",[Company],"Date","diff","Sales Amount",[Diff]),

SELECTCOLUMNS( DISTINCT( ALLEXCEPT('Table','Table'[Amount],'Table'[Date])),"Company Name",[Company],"Date","diff pect","Sales Amount",[diff Pect]))

)

Capture3.PNG

3. Create a matrix visual with above table.

Capture4.PNG

Capture5.PNG

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi MbProg,

I agree with ankitpatira’s point and I’d like to share the detail steps:

1. Create the test table.

1.png

1. Create a Matrix report, drag ‘Company Name’ to ‘Rows’ column, ‘Data’ to ‘Columns’ column set mode to ‘Date Hierarchy’ and clear other detail date fields, ‘Sales Amount’ to ‘Values’ column.

2.png

Result:

3.png

Notice: if you don’t want the total fields, you could close it at format tab.

4.png

5.png

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

@ankitpatira @v-shex-msft

Your solution works great. There is just one more point:

Now I have the following structure

2012    2013

Company X     200       210

Company Y     150       200

I want to have two extra columns like this

2012    2013     Diff(Value of 2013 - Value of 2012)        Diff %

Company X     200       210       10                                                            5

Company Y     150       200       50                                                            30

Do you know a way to accomplish this?

@MbProg

In power bi desktop via query editor add custom column and simply subtract 2012 column from 2013 and rename new custom column.

@ankitpatira

Sorry, but I don't see a way to do that with a custom column. Imagine we have the following data:

Unbenannt.png

2012    2013

Company X     230       130

The diff is now 100 and % is 56.5

How can I get that with a custom column?

How would the custom column look like?

Hi MbProg,

Based on my testing, It is impossible to modify the matrix to your goal.

>> How can I get that with a custom column?

You could follow below steps:

1. Merge records to a new table.

Source table:

Capture2.PNG

Measure: (merge the records)

Total Sales Amount = CALCULATE( SUM('Sales Record'[Sales Amount]),FILTER(ALL('Sales Record'),SUMX(FILTER('Sales Record',YEAR('Sales Record'[Date])=YEAR(EARLIER('Sales Record'[Date])) &&'Sales Record'[Company Name]=EARLIER('Sales Record'[Company Name])),'Sales Record'[Sales Amount])))

Dax: Table = DISTINCT( SELECTCOLUMNS('Sales Record',"Company",'Sales Record'[Company Name],"Date",YEAR('Sales Record'[Date]),"Amount",[Total Sales Amount]))

Capture.PNG

2. Get the diff.

Calculate column:

Diff =

VAR MinYear = MIN('Table'[Date])

VAR MaxYear = MAX('Table'[Date])

var minvalue = LOOKUPVALUE( 'Table'[Amount], 'Table'[Date], MinYear, 'Table'[Company], 'Table'[Company] )

var maxvalue = LOOKUPVALUE( 'Table'[Amount], 'Table'[Date], MaxYear, 'Table'[Company], 'Table'[Company] )

RETURN

(

minvalue- maxvalue

)

Capture3.PNG

3. Calculate the diff percent.

diff Pect =

VAR MinYear = MIN('Table'[Date])

VAR minvalue = LOOKUPVALUE( 'Table'[Amount], 'Table'[Date], MinYear, 'Table'[Company], 'Table'[Company] )

return

ABS( [Diff]/minvalue)

Capture4.PNG

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Hello @v-shex-msft

I have found another way to realize that with table diagram without changing in the Query Mode: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/39123026/visualize-data-in-power-bi-as-matrix/39128551#39128551

Your solution is also great.

My question: what do you recommend: Your solution by chaning the query and show in matrix or just add measures and display it in tables? Which is better regarding to the performance?

Hi MbProg,

>> what do you recommend: Your solution by chaning the query and show in matrix or just add measures and display it in tables? Which is better regarding to the performance?

In my opinion, alejandro’s solution is easier, but it needs to fix the year value in the measure. If you use my method, you needn’t to worry about it. As in my measures, it returns maximum and minimum years of current table automatically. Besides, after improving my method, you can also display data in a matrix properly. Please refer to below steps:

1. Use selectcolumns function to format the records.

Capture2.PNG 

Dax:

Table2= UNION(

Capture.PNG

2. Use union function to merge these records to old table.

Dax:

Table 2 = UNION(SELECTCOLUMNS('Sales Record', "Company Name",[Company Name],"Date",YEAR([Date]),"Sales Amount",[Sales Amount]),

UNION(

)

Capture3.PNG

3. Create a matrix visual with above table.

Capture4.PNG

Capture5.PNG

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@MbProg Use matrix visual with company as rows, date as columns and number as Values.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.