Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

bdoiron
Frequent Visitor

Problem sorting report

I have a sql table as a datasource for my dashboard. Columns are Sort Order (Integer) and ItemDesc  as (Text)                                              (1)  138410     A1_Trenching

• (2)  138415     A10_Rigging
  • (3)  138411     A2_Confined Space   
    I want to sort by column 1 so I go to query mode and sort column 1 and the query view sort and show correctly. Then I Apply changes and go back to my visual and it is sorted like the above by ItemDecr. What could I be doing wrong. Since I cant sort by the descr i really want to sort by Sort order but dont include it in my visual.   THANKS                                    
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @bdoiron,

To sort column "ItemDesc" by column "Sort Order", you need to select column "ItemDesc" first, then click Sort by Column under Modeling tab, and choose "Sort Order". Smiley Happy

sort1.PNG

Regards

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @bdoiron,

To sort column "ItemDesc" by column "Sort Order", you need to select column "ItemDesc" first, then click Sort by Column under Modeling tab, and choose "Sort Order". Smiley Happy

sort1.PNG

Regards

Hi @v-ljerr-msft

I have the same issue. But same solution did not work.

Sorry for the delay I was way from the office. Thanks for the reply it worked. However I need a product solution that will enable me to let a customer open our website and enter login credientials to access their dashboard data. From what I have been reading when you publish from this product it must not be sensitive data. Is this a correct assumption?

Hi @bdoiron,

Great to hear the original problem got resolved! 

As the new question doesn't relate to your original one, I would suggest you post it in a new thread for better assistance in the forum. Smiley Happy

In addition, could you accept the corresponding reply as solution to help others who may also have the similar issue easily find the answer and close this thread?

Regards

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Can you set the Sort By field for ItemDesc to SortOrder?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

When I am in table view or query sort order is selected for sorting and the data view shows itemdescr in the correct order

A1,A2,.........A10 But when I go back to my visual (report) view it is sorted by itemdescr.

Also i find that if my visual is a bar chart I can click on the .... ellipses on the the upper right and sort order is available but I need the visual in a table format and when I switch and do the same thing sorting is not available. Why shouldnt the query order the data????

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.