Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

emilyw316

Problem loading all rows of data

Hi,

I am running a large report that will produce 10,646 rows and 61 columns when complete.

My issue is trying to load all rows automatically without having to load them a few at a time. I also am hoping to export it all in one easy go.

At first (in power BI) the report loads all columns fine, but only a portion of the rows. when I scroll down to the bottom, it will take its time loading another portion of rows, and so fourth until I reach the bottom. This will take an entire day of scrolling and waiting and scrolling and waiting.

The reason I need to do this is because it will only allow me to copy/paste the data out of BI and into excel and if I do not pre-load all rows, it will only copy/paste the visable portion.

(also would love to hear easier ways to export data, since this method only allows me to do a column at a time. Says too much data)

thanks so much, and hoping this makes sense.

6 REPLIES 6
v-joesh-msft
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @emilyw316 ,

I would suggest you refer to this article, there are three ways to export data:

1. Copy Data from Data View in Power BI Desktop and Paste it to Destination
2. Copy Data from Query Editor in Power BI Desktop and Paste it to Destination
3. Export Data From Power BI Desktop to CSV or TXT Using DAX Studio

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Joey
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

JarroVGIT
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

When using a Table visual in PBI Desktop, you can actually export it to a CSV file:

image.png

Kind regards

Djerro123

-------------------------------

If this answered your question, please mark it as the Solution. This also helps others to find what they are looking for.

Keep those thumbs up coming! 🙂

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

az38
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @emilyw316 

first of all we should define where exactly do you scroll the data

there are 3 options:

1. Power Query Editor mode. It is the only preview of data and it will be incomplete

2. Report mode Data window. It is the not the best way to copy data into Excel

3. Report mode visuals. It has Export data options. It will export to csv and after that you could split cell by delimiter. Read more here https://docs.microsoft.com/en-Us/power-bi/visuals/power-bi-visualization-export-data

do not hesitate to give a kudo to useful posts and mark solutions as solution

LinkedIn

do not hesitate to give a kudo to useful posts and mark solutions as solution
LinkedIn

Hi, Thanks a million for your responses. I unfortunately have "Data exceeds the limit" when I try to export to CSV by clicking the 3 dots in the visual. 

I have a matrix in the Report view that is a little over 10.6k rows and 61 columns wide. I found the only way I can export data is if I copy and pase a column at a time into excel, which is incredibly frustrating. Not only is that tedius but before I can even do that, I have to load all the rows so I get all the data into excel. (if I do not load all first, it will only copy the loaded portion into excel.)

To load all the rows I have to scroll to the bottom, more will load, scroll to that bottom, more will load, and so forth until all rows are loaded. then I begin my copy/paste hours of each column into excel. This takes almost 2 full working days to complete ! 

Are you familiar with this issue and have any insight? I am (perhaps obviously) fairly new to Power BI and learning it for my company but running into these issues. 

Thanks so much, appreciate you!

Hi @emilyw316 ,

As mentioned before, I would suggest you use DAX Studio. An advantage of using DAX Studio is that it works great regardless of the amount of data you want to export.
Refer to the resources below, you will find the method:

Export Data from Power BI Desktop to CSV or TXT Using DAX Studio

Export to csv from Power Query

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Joey
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi, what is your data source? The powerquery functions in PowerBi are readily available in Excel as well and if you load it to your datamodel in Excel it will create a new sheet with table holding all the information. That might work a lot better if you want to export to Excel anyway?
Let me know if that works!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.