Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Phil_Seamark
Employee
Employee

Problem importing MDX from SSAS cube

Downloaded the May update of Power BI Desktop this morning and it seems I can no longer import custom MDX code as a data source.

If I paste in a simple MDX statement in the "MDX or DAX (optional)" text area, the next screen just shows the cube navigator screen and doesn't load the results of the query.

To learn more about DAX visit : aka.ms/practicalDAX

Proud to be a Datanaut!

12 REPLIES 12
gooranga1
Power Participant
Power Participant

Has anyone got a response to this?

I finally got an email last night asking me to record the steps I was taking using Steps Recorder and send it to them even though on these posts it's been stated the problem has been replicated internally???

I went through the rigmarole of installing and de-installing the new version to screen shot the problem to send to them.

Has anyone else had any joy with this issue?

I had the same issue. Latest download 2.36.4434.362 fixed it. I can apply MDX query in import data mode.
ksnayadi
Regular Visitor

I have the same issue this morning after updating the desktop - the MDX query that I had in my reports are disappearing after I click the OK button on the Source/Query Dialog window and in turn it takes out the data set that was previously loaded with the MDX query. I use an Analysis Server/Database for my Data Source.

The work around I am using in the meantime is to edit the M code directly using the advanced editor in the Power Query editor. 

Hopefully they update the product soon.

If you revert to the April version of Power BI, it won't open any PBIX file that has been saved using the May version.

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Thank you, I will try that. How did you revert to the previous version of the Desktop?

I still had the installer in my download folder from when I downloaded it.  Keeping them from now on just in case I need to roll back for other reasons. 🙂

Proud to be a Datanaut!

@Phil_Seamark

I reproduced same issue as yours. It seems to be a potential bug, please submit an Idea: https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi. We will also report internally.

Regards,

@v-sihou-msft I noticed there is now an "Issues" forum listed at the top of the Community main page... Should we be using that for bugs, or what everyone assumes is just the forum for feature requests that you mention? Are they both monitored, or one over the other?

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/360879-issues

@Phil_Seamark - cc

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

@Seth_C_Bauer@Phil_Seamark

Sorry for my mistake in previous post. As I comfirmed, "Ideas" is for feature request only. If you encountered any bugs/issues, just post it on forum, we will test and report them via internal channel.

Regards,

The issue I raised is pretty severe - not being able to work on queries is essentially stopping all of my development work. I am surprised that PowerBI team is taking this long to get a fix in. for that

I thought ideas were for feature requests rather than reporting/managing bug fixes.

Proud to be a Datanaut!

I have already reported it there and also sent a frown from my desktop  - I have got a response but no fix yet.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.