Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ineedham
Helper I
Helper I

Problem extracting text using MID & FIND/SEARCH when text doesn't contain character

MESSAGEDESIRED RESULTFORMULA 1 RESULTFORMULA 2 RESULT
Certification #11#11
Certification #22#22
Certification #33#33
2017 Live Webinar #1a1a#1a1a
2017 Live Webinar #1b1b#1b1b
2017 Fall Party  201
Committee Nominations  Com

I’m working with email message data. Sometimes, there are multiple messages with the same title, distinguished by order number (#1, #2A, etc)

If the message contains a “#,” I’m looking to extract the 3 characters after the “#” sign in a the text string of the email message title. If the message does not contain the “#” character, I want to return a blank.

If I use Formula 1, it returns the blanks, but it also returns the “#” sign, which I don’t want:

Formula 1 = IFERROR(MID(Emails[Message], FIND("#",Emails[Message],1,BLANK()),3),"")

Formula 2 strips off the “#”, but it also returns the first 3 characters of the Messages that don’t contain “#,” instead of the blanks I want:

Formula 2 = IFERROR(MID(Emails[Message], FIND("#",Emails[Message],1,BLANK())+1,3),"")

I can't seem to find the proper order for the IFERROR statement and its associated blank.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@ineedham

Hi, please check the image.

FIND.png

Lima - Peru

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Vvelarde
Community Champion
Community Champion

@ineedham

Hi, try with the follow dax:

Column =
VAR FINDIT =
    FIND ( "#", Table4[MESSAGE], 1; 0 )
RETURN
    IF ( FINDIT > 0, MID ( Table4[MESSAGE], FINDIT+1, 3 ) )

Lima - Peru

That gave me the same results as Formula 1 -- the "#" is in front of the Message order numbers.

@ineedham

Hi, please check the image.

FIND.png

Lima - Peru

Apologies,

I missed the +1.

That worked!

Thanks.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.