Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

michaelstone
Helper I
Helper I

Problem calculating standard deviation of a measure

Hi all,

I'm trying to identify which products are the most frequently purchased by customers by using the standard deviation as a threshold.

I have two tables:

• A Products table which has a unique row for each distinct product I am selling
  • A Transactions table which has a row for each item in a shopper's basket. This includes a reference to the Products table as well as a Transaction ID. Note that the same Transaction ID can have several rows i.e. the customer purchased a number of different products in the same transaction.

I have created a measure to calculate Frequency of Purchase i.e. what proportion of transactions include the product of interest as follows.

Frequency of Purchase = 
    DISTINCTCOUNT(Transactions[order_id])/CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT(Transactions[TransactionID]),ALLEXCEPT('Products','Products'[ProductID]))

If I visualise this in a table along with the product name, I get the correct values for Frequency of Purchase.

The problem is with my measure to calculate the Standard Deviation of the Frequency of Purchase

Frequency StdDev = STDEVX.P('Products',[Frequency of Purchase])

The measure above always returns 0.

I am doing a similar thing to indentify the products with the best margin which involves calculating the Standard Deviation of a Margin measure. This works fine so not sure why Frequency is not working.

Any assistance will be appreciated!

Thanks,

Michael Stone

4 REPLIES 4
v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @michaelstone ,

Could you please share your sample data and excepted result to me if you don't have any Confidential Information.Please upload your files to One Drive and share the link here.

Regards,

Frank

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

Hi @v-frfei-msft ,

Have you had a chance to look at the data file I uploaded or do you need more information?

Thanks,

Michael

Hi Frank,

Thanks for responding!

Below is a link to a PBIX file which illustrates the problem.

https://invigor.sharepoint.com/:u:/g/EWeDmEJTSx9LmwsHb-V9QgQB3vYzQlt5OvtRDvqCu7V58w?e=NteoDY

Basically I want to be able to dynamically classify products as High/Low Frequency and High/Low Margin where High is more than 1 standard deviation from the mean.

Frequency is calculated based on the proportion of transactions that the product appears in (transaction_id identifies a single "basket").

Margin is (sales-cost)/price expressed as a percentage.

The High/Low Margin is working correctly but the High/Low Frequency as affected by two issue:

• Standard deviation is 0
  • Frequency of purchase is 100% for all products.

Hope this helps!

Thanks,

Michael Stone

Hi @v-frfei-msft ,

Probably should have tagged you on my reply above.

Any help you can provide will be appreciated!

Thanks,

Michael

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.