Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

skiely
Frequent Visitor

Problem With Countrows Function

I'm strugling with DAX, I have been trying to create a New Column that counts the number of times a User in my database has a certain Role.

I have been using unsucessfully trying CALCULATE(COUNTROWS(FILTER('Contact role','Contact role'[Level]="Primary")))

I think I may be using the wrong functions for this, but have been unable to find a solution. Any help is greatly appreciated. 

For more structure, here is the fake subset of the table named 'Contact role':

NameRole
John DoePrimary
Jane DoeBackup
John DoeBackup
John DoeBackup
Jane DoeBackup
Jane DoePrimary
Jane Doe

Primary

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I just used your formula in a measure (and not a calculated column), and then used it on our sample data. It seems to give the right results.

cntrows = CALCULATE(COUNTROWS(Table1), FILTER(Table1, Table1[Role]="Primary")) & " P  " &  CALCULATE(COUNTROWS(Table1), FILTER(Table1, Table1[Role]="Backup")) & " B"

temp.png

It would be easier for us to help you if you give sample data (like you gave), and then show exactly what the results should be with the sample data. Feel free to change the sample data but make sure that you show what the end results also need to be, so that we can replicate it in Power BI

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
SqlJason
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Can you tell us what the output needs to be? 

If you make a table with the name, role and a simple countrows measure  

cntrows = COUNTROWS(Table1)

You will get the following output

temp.png

If you want it as a caclulated column (maybe as an intermediate step for some other calculation), you can use the formula below

Cntrows_col = CALCULATE(COUNTROWS(Table1), ALLEXCEPT(Table1, Table1[Name], Table1[Role]))

temp.png

So depends on what your use is.

I'm trying to make it so I can show Both on a single table

I censored the table I am trying to create. The Associate is the name, and the role is relative to the Borough of New York City. 

The formula I used for this is CALCULATE(COUNTROWS(FILTER('Contact role','Contact role'[Level]="Primary")))&" (P) "&CALCULATE(COUNTROWS(FILTER('Contact role','Contact role'[Level]="Backup")))&" (B) "

Pasted image at 2017_03_03 09_50 AM.png

I just used your formula in a measure (and not a calculated column), and then used it on our sample data. It seems to give the right results.

cntrows = CALCULATE(COUNTROWS(Table1), FILTER(Table1, Table1[Role]="Primary")) & " P  " &  CALCULATE(COUNTROWS(Table1), FILTER(Table1, Table1[Role]="Backup")) & " B"

temp.png

It would be easier for us to help you if you give sample data (like you gave), and then show exactly what the results should be with the sample data. Feel free to change the sample data but make sure that you show what the end results also need to be, so that we can replicate it in Power BI

That solved my problem, thank you so much I can't believe it was that simple.

I'm sorry I couldn't provide the data, it was confidental (if you couldn't tell by my bad attempt to censor ha)

Thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.