Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ytc-reports
Helper I
Helper I

Probably Extremely Easy Question - Sum Column on one Table from Matching Rows on Other Table

I have a question today that I think most of you will find quite easy, but I'm really struggling with.

I have an Item table, and each row on the Item table of course represents one Item. Each item is identified by the No_ field.

No_Description
AStock Item A
BSales Item B
CChristmas Item C

I have another table, purchase_lines, connected to it with a related field Item No_:

Item No_Quantity
A2
A3
B6
C7
C3

What I need is a column on the first table that sums up matching rows on the second table. 

Now your first instinct is going to be to tell me I can just drag the Quantity column into my report and it will sum up correctly there, and *you'd be correct*, but that's not what I need to do with this column. I'm doing some other complex stuff with other related tables and I really do need a calculated column on the Item table. A column that ends up looking like this:

No_DescriptionQtySum
AStock Item A5
BSales Item B6
CChristmas Item C10

I've tried Calculating and SumX-ing and I just can't figure out what to do. Please help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Vvelarde
Community Champion
Community Champion

@ytc-reports

Use this and let me know if works

QtySum = CALCULATE(Sum(TableB[Quantity]))

Lima - Peru

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Vvelarde
Community Champion
Community Champion

@ytc-reports

Use this and let me know if works

QtySum = CALCULATE(Sum(TableB[Quantity]))

Lima - Peru

@Vvelarde I think that may have worked! I feel so stupid, as that's so simple and I've used those things countless times before. I was just summing it, or trying to do calculate(sum and then putting a filter in there. I was overcomplicating it. Thanks so much!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi YTC have you looked at the Related() function?

@Anonymous yes and that works great in a 1:many relationship for referencing values on the 1: side of that relationship on the table with the :many side. But I'm doing the reverse, which is why I'm struggling.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.