Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mfinlay
Advocate I
Advocate I

Prior year calculations based on two dates

Hi Power BI gurus,

I have a measure that has two dates associated with it - a booking date and a shipping date.

I can get prior year calculations easily for one date, using calculate and dateadd DAX, eg for shipping date:

mfinlay_1-1632257610901.png

However, I also want to apply the same filter/calculation to the booking date - ie to effectively see how things are performing at the same point as last year.

Adding a filter on booking date to the table removes the PY numbers, as the PY shipping dates don't have a booking date in the current year:

mfinlay_0-1632257561253.png

Can anyone suggest how I can get the booking date to also go back 364 days, eg to show 434 for Dec-21 in the Transaction Count PY column - which is the total of bookings taken 02/09/2020 - 22/09/2020 with shipping dates 02/12/2020 - 01/01/2021?

I've tried applying two filters to the CALCULATE function:

Transaction count Prior Year - Booking and Shipping Date = 
CALCULATE (
    [Transaction count],
    DATEADD ( 'Shipping Date'[Shipping Date], -364, DAY ),
    DATEADD ( 'Booking Date'[Booking Date], -364, DAY )
)

but this throws an error:

mfinlay_2-1632257740198.png

I'm not looking for a complete solution, I'm happy to try and resolve myself if someone could please give me a pointer.

PBIX file:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AnNbCRaQC4GBhykaMux22jk4tAy5?e=PS0xjx

thanks

Matt

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
richbenmintz
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @mfinlay ,

You can fix your error, by changing your relationship between booking date and data to 1 -> Many and changing to one way.

Will review the formula next to try to get the correct result

I hope this helps,
Richard

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos Appreciated!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
TheoC
Super User
Super User

Hi @mfinlay 

Create a new measure in your Data table as below. This will ignore any filters from both tables and hopefully give you what you're looking for 🙂

Transaction Count (Total CY) =
CALCULATE ( TOTALYTD ( [Transaction count] , Data[Shipping Date] ) , ALL ( 'Booking Date'[Booking Date] ) , ALL ( Data[Booking Date] ) )

TheoC_0-1632263715946.png

Hope this helps mate!

If I have posted a response that resolves your question, please accept it as a solution to formally close the post.

Also, if you are as passionate about Power BI, DAX and data as I am, please feel free to reach out if you have any questions, queries, or if you simply want to connect and talk to another data geek!

Want to connect?www.linkedin.com/in/theoconias

Thanks for your suggestion - I'm afraid I worked from the bottom up and the other reply fixed my issue 🙂

@mfinlay LOL! Mate, too good. Best thing about Power BI is that there's a lot of ways to achieve the outcome you're after.  And I am pretty sure the @richbenmintz approach was much quicker.

If I have posted a response that resolves your question, please accept it as a solution to formally close the post.

Also, if you are as passionate about Power BI, DAX and data as I am, please feel free to reach out if you have any questions, queries, or if you simply want to connect and talk to another data geek!

Want to connect?www.linkedin.com/in/theoconias

richbenmintz
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @mfinlay ,

You can fix your error, by changing your relationship between booking date and data to 1 -> Many and changing to one way.

Will review the formula next to try to get the correct result

I hope this helps,
Richard

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos Appreciated!

Proud to be a Super User!

Ah, hadn't spotted that the test data had caused an incorrect join.

That has fixed my calculation, and the calculation appears to work as I'd hoped - thank you.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.