Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jcooksnappy1

Prior Period Comparative Dynamic Date Range

Dear PowerBI Community,

I have a very simple table which includes UNITS, and REVENUE but have applied a date range filter to the data. 

I would like to add a supplementary column to the table which takes into account the prior periods date. 

For example, if the date range is 1st Oct 17 - 30th Oct 18, then the prior period comparative would be 1st Oct 16 - 30th Oct 2017, so the year before. If the date range is shorten the range would alter accodingly.

I have a simple DATE table which shows Date, Month, and Year.

I have attempted a number of SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR, DATEADD but had little success.

Any help would be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Lets try this way

Prior Year Revenue = CALCULATE(sum(Revenue[total_net_lc(exvat)]),DATEADD(Dates[Date],-1,YEAR))

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Can you send a data example? 

Dear Rafael - thanks for a reponse. Apologies I should have addedd sample data to the original post.

There are two tables - ''Dates'', and ''Revenue'' and the only relationship is the link between invoiced_date on the revenue table, and Date on the DATES table. An example of the content of each can be seen in the first screen grab.

When I toggle on a certain date range I would like the ''PRIOR YEAR REVENUE'' column to populate with the priod year date.

The second screenshot shows a date filter of 1/09/2017 to 30/09/2018 and the revenue for this period is 5,355,336, and I'm struggling to write a DAX formula to populate the PRIOR YEAR REVENUE column (which would be for he period 01/09/16 to 30/09/17). Screen grab 3 shows that the revenue for this period is 4,851,931 and this is the figure I would like to populate.

Currently the DAX formula being used is Prior Year Revenue = CALCULATE(sum(Revenue[total_net_lc(exvat)]),FILTER(Dates,Dates[Date] <= MAX(Revenue[invoiced_date])-364)) which is not giving the desired response. 

Any suggestions?

Capture1.JPGCapture3.JPGCapture4.JPG

Lets try this way

Prior Year Revenue = CALCULATE(sum(Revenue[total_net_lc(exvat)]),DATEADD(Dates[Date],-1,YEAR))

Thanks Rafael, I seemed to be going round in circles. Appreciate your help - TY!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.