Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

jcooksnappy1

Prior Period Comparative Dynamic Date Range

Dear PowerBI Community,

I have a very simple table which includes UNITS, and REVENUE but have applied a date range filter to the data. 

I would like to add a supplementary column to the table which takes into account the prior periods date. 

For example, if the date range is 1st Oct 17 - 30th Oct 18, then the prior period comparative would be 1st Oct 16 - 30th Oct 2017, so the year before. If the date range is shorten the range would alter accodingly.

I have a simple DATE table which shows Date, Month, and Year.

I have attempted a number of SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR, DATEADD but had little success.

Any help would be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Lets try this way

Prior Year Revenue = CALCULATE(sum(Revenue[total_net_lc(exvat)]),DATEADD(Dates[Date],-1,YEAR))

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Can you send a data example? 

Dear Rafael - thanks for a reponse. Apologies I should have addedd sample data to the original post.

There are two tables - ''Dates'', and ''Revenue'' and the only relationship is the link between invoiced_date on the revenue table, and Date on the DATES table. An example of the content of each can be seen in the first screen grab.

When I toggle on a certain date range I would like the ''PRIOR YEAR REVENUE'' column to populate with the priod year date.

The second screenshot shows a date filter of 1/09/2017 to 30/09/2018 and the revenue for this period is 5,355,336, and I'm struggling to write a DAX formula to populate the PRIOR YEAR REVENUE column (which would be for he period 01/09/16 to 30/09/17). Screen grab 3 shows that the revenue for this period is 4,851,931 and this is the figure I would like to populate.

Currently the DAX formula being used is Prior Year Revenue = CALCULATE(sum(Revenue[total_net_lc(exvat)]),FILTER(Dates,Dates[Date] <= MAX(Revenue[invoiced_date])-364)) which is not giving the desired response. 

Any suggestions?

Capture1.JPGCapture3.JPGCapture4.JPG

Lets try this way

Prior Year Revenue = CALCULATE(sum(Revenue[total_net_lc(exvat)]),DATEADD(Dates[Date],-1,YEAR))

Thanks Rafael, I seemed to be going round in circles. Appreciate your help - TY!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.