Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Prior Days Sales (not previous day)

I could use help with a formula…I am trying to write a formula that totals the priors days sales when the prior day is not the previous day.  I have tried numerous variations of DAX formulas like below with no luck.  To illustrate I created a quick excel table example shown below with the raw data on the left on the right the result I am looking for.  I also created a Power BI dashboard for this example.  The second screen shot below shows a Power BI dashboard example with most of the same results except no Prior Total Sales column (using the below formula).  Can someone take a look and help me with the formula?

Thx

THIS FORMULA DID NOT WORK:

Prior Total Sales =

CALCULATE(

SUM('Sales Data'[Sales]),

Filter('Sales Data',

'Sales Data'[Date]='Measure'[Prior Sales Date])

)

EXCEL DATA/RESULTS:

image004.jpg

CANNOT FIGURE OUT FORMULA TO HAVE THE PRIOR DAYS SALES IN POWER BI WHEN THE PRIOR DAY IS NOT THE PREVIOUS DAY.

image005.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Try something like this to get the previous date:

VAR latestDate = MAX('Fact'[SalesDate])
VAR prevDate = CALCULATE(MAX('Fact'[SalesDate]),'Fact'[SalesDate]<latestDate)
RETURN
CALCULATE(
[Sales],
'Date'[Date]=prevDate
)

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Try something like this to get the previous date:

VAR latestDate = MAX('Fact'[SalesDate])
VAR prevDate = CALCULATE(MAX('Fact'[SalesDate]),'Fact'[SalesDate]<latestDate)
RETURN
CALCULATE(
[Sales],
'Date'[Date]=prevDate
)

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you. I needed that too! 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Worked perfectly...thx for relieving weeks of stress!

d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

It's hard to answer this without knowing more about your other measures and your data model. It's possible that the context inside the filter function is affecting the prior date measure. One possible fix might be to capture this value in a variable (but this is a pure stab in the dark so it may not work)

Prior Total Sales =
VAR _priorDate = 'Measure'[Prior Sales Date]
RETURN CALCULATE(
    SUM('Sales Data'[Sales]),
   Filter('Sales Data',
    'Sales Data'[Date]=  _priorDate)
    )

If this does not work can you post the measure expressions for Prior Sales Date, Current Sales Date and Current Sales? Do you have a separate date table or are you trying to use a date column from the 'Sales Data' table?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the PBIX and the excel spreadsheet that the PBIX is attached to...how do I attach these files?
The formula you offered was one of the versions that I tried and it did not work.  Thx for jumping in!

@Anonymous wrote:

I have the PBIX and the excel spreadsheet that the PBIX is attached to...how do I attach these files?

There should be a section at the bottom of the reply window that says "Attachments" - it's not obvious, but if you click on the paperclip icon it should prompt you to add a file 

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

Make sure you have a date dimension table

https://radacad.com/creating-calendar-table-in-power-bi-using-dax-functions

Then use

last day sales = CALCULATE(sum(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATEADD('Date'[Date Filer],-1,DAY))

Prior_last_day_sales.png

Appreciate your Kudos. In case, this is the solution you are looking for, mark it as the Solution. In case it does not help, please provide additional information and mark me with @
Thanks.

My Recent Blog - https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Comparing-Data-Across-Date-Ranges/ba-p/823601

Anonymous
Not applicable

The prior date will not be the most current day -1...most cases the prior date is one to two weeks earlier...would this formula work when the prior dates are not consecutive?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.