Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

latearrival
Advocate I
Advocate I

Print page to separate PDF for each value of a filter?

Is there a way in the deskop or app.powerbi to print a page to PDF for each value of a filter?

So, for example, if the report filter has 50 values, I'd like to be able to produce a 50 PDFs - a separate PDF for each filter value.

Right now I have to manually set the filter, export to PDF, manually set the filter, export to PDF etc etc. Painful.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

1. No, it should work with just a Pro license

2. Yes, you would have to rebuild the report.  You are changing it from a single report with a selection to a report with a page for each possible selection.

3. Yes, that is one of the benefits of paginated reports

4. Not sure, the regular SQL Server connection might work

Another option would be to make 50 copies of your existing report page, set the filter differently for each page and export it in 1 go.  Although I think there is a limit to the number of pages that can be exported at once.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
latearrival
Advocate I
Advocate I

How do I unmark this solution as solved?

I still have an unanswered question about the solution.

Solution, "Use Power BI paginated reports... You would have to rebuild the report... as a report with a page for each possible selection."

Outstanding question, "My filter value changes from month to month and there's 50+ values. Is each page of the paginated report automatically created and kept in sync with the number of filter values?"

jdbuchanan71
Super User
Super User

Hello @latearrival 

You should look into Power BI paginated reports.  They are the tool you would use to accomplish what you are looking for.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/paginated-reports-report-builder-power-bi

Hi. Thanks for sharing the link.

I'm still not quite clear on a few things.

1. Is Pro or Premium required? (I'm just a one-man-show so Premium is out of the question).  I don't need to publish the PDFs anywhere. I just need them on my PC.

2. Do I have to re-build the report that I've already got working in Power BI in a new product (Report Builder)?

3. Can it produce one separate PDF per filter value?

4. MySQL is not listed in the list of data sources. So it won't work for a report built on MySQL?

Cheers!

1. No, it should work with just a Pro license

2. Yes, you would have to rebuild the report.  You are changing it from a single report with a selection to a report with a page for each possible selection.

3. Yes, that is one of the benefits of paginated reports

4. Not sure, the regular SQL Server connection might work

Another option would be to make 50 copies of your existing report page, set the filter differently for each page and export it in 1 go.  Although I think there is a limit to the number of pages that can be exported at once.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, I really appreciate it.

One more question re "You are changing it from a single report with a selection to a report with a page for each possible selection"...

The filter value changes from month to month. Are you saying I have to pre-build a page for each selection - so the report has numerous pages?  That doesn't sound great - it would require a lot of effort to setup, ongoing effort to change (because the filter values change), and would require a report design change to be replicated across every page (ugghh!).  Or have I misunderstood?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.