Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Primavera Datas

Hi,

I would like to use Power BI to see and analyse datas coming from Primavera P6, an Oracle tool.

Should I use web service ? SQL requests ?

How do I log into the P6 data-base ?

I hope you will be able to help me.

Thanks

Pierre

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @pierredelareux,

Yes. You can take a look at the following similar thread about this scenario.
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/How-to-create-a-template-with-a-different-data-source-every...

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
paulciszewski33
Frequent Visitor

If your P6 EPPM or Oracle Primavera Cloud (OPC) is hosted at Oracle, Oracle makes it difficult to connect Power BI to the P6 EPPM or OPC DB.  You need to extract the P6 or OPC data out of Oracle Hosting using a utility such as P6ETL (www.p6etl.com).  Actually, P6ETL can extract P6 data out of any hosted environment such as Loadspring.  P6ETL then stores the P6 or OPC data into a MSSQL DB (on-premise, at Azure, or at AWS).  Once the P6 or OPC data is in the MSSQL DB, you can create Power BI P6 and OPC dashboards.  And P6ETL will automatically update/refresh the P6 and OPC data in the MSSQL DB throughout the day

But, if your P6 DB is on-premise, you can connect Power BI to your P6 Native DB.  Checkout the “Primavera P6 Reporting with Microsoft Power BI” LinkedIn group (https://www.linkedin.com/groups/13914226/).  There are a few videos to show you the steps for connecting Power BI to your on-premise P6 DB.

And if you are using P6 EPPM on-premise and Publishing is enabled, you also have access to the P6 Report DB (which has most calculated and time-phased data).

paulciszewski33
Frequent Visitor

Mustang Technologies developed an integration to Oracle Hosting/OCI called P6ETL™. P6ETL™ extracts the data from the Primavera P6 database using P6 Web Services and then P6ETL™ creates a reporting database (the P6ETL™ SQL Server database). Then users can connect Power BI to the P6ETL™ database and create Power BI reports. To learn more, go to www.p6etl.com

However – if you just want to connect Power BI to the P6 DB, check out this LinkedIn Group: https://www.linkedin.com/groups/13914226/ I created a couple videos in the group to demonstrate how to create Power BI reports for P6.

EmilieBa

Hi @pierredelareux

Did you find a way to link with primavera data ?

We are using for primavera an SQLServer, apparently we can connect using PXRPT user. I'll try

If for you it's working can you please explain how you access it

Thanks

Hi @EmilieBa,

No I didn't find any way.

We are using P6 Cloud and Oracle blocks all entries.

I also tried to use PXRPT User but I didn't get access.

I hope you will find a way

Pierre

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @pierredelareux,

There is no built-in connector for Primavera in Power BI Desktop. An idea about this issue has been submitted in this link , please vote it up.

Additionally, to work around this issue, you can use Power Query to connect to Primavera xer files  and create charts in PowerPivot following the guide in this blog, then pin these charts to Power BI dashboard following the instructions in this article.

Moreover, you can try to put all  Primavera xer files  in a folder, then use “Get data->File->Folder” entry in Power BI Desktop to connect to these xer files. Then paste the code of Advanced Editor in Power query to Advanced Editor in Power BI Desktop to parse these Primavera xer files .
1.PNG2.PNG3.PNG5.PNG

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

HI @v-yuezhe-msft,

Thks for you r answer.

It seems to be a bit to complex for me and my users can't donwload the XER file.

I am on the way to define a Power BI report template and let them upload their own data by getting a Excel file from BI Publisher.

Does it seem to be suitable ?

Pierre

Hi @pierredelareux,

Do you want to export data from Primavera P6 to Excel and then connect to the Excel from Power BI Desktop and create report template? If that is the case, it is suitable, other users can use the Power BI template file to instantiate new Power BI reports.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Hi @v-yuezhe-msft,

I have to use parameter to let them "upload" their file ?

Pierre

Hi @pierredelareux,

Yes. You can take a look at the following similar thread about this scenario.
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/How-to-create-a-template-with-a-different-data-source-every...

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Hi @v-yuezhe-msft,

I've been able to use the path as parameter ! Thanks !

If I want to share the report to my organization user online - they use Power BI online (not Desktop) - will they be able to define the path (the path parameter) themself ?

I hope you understand my point... I may be not clear enough. 

Thks

Pierre

Hi @pierredelareux,

Parameters are only be able to edited in Power BI Desktop but not in Power BI Service.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Ok...

Will it be improved later ?

@v-yuezhe-msft thanks for the link, I really appreciate it.

@pierredelareux   can you please provide more information about your case, do you have one Primavera database or every planner has his own installation, who update PowerBI, is it you or the planner responsability, do you have free PowerBI or Pro

PowerBi is so flexible, you can do a lot of different integration scenarios.

Hi @mim,

We are using one DB for all users. 

The goal is to allow every users - planner level - to export their own project in XML and then upload it to Power BI to use the template I set. 

The best solution would have been to use Online Power BI to import XML project... Next features maybe

Pierre

Thanks Pierre

i see, but reading from xer or xml can be tricky specially for spread data as it is not stored in the file, at work, we do export excel from P6, and do the reports in PowerBI

thanks again for the reply as it seems not a lot of planners are aware of PowerBI

cheers

Mim

image.jpg

This is the error message I get when I try to use Oracle DB connectors.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.