Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Price Change Filter

I have been tasked to see if there is a way (formula) in Power BI that would allow users to see only items that had a predetermined price change over the prior period over a set price...they say a 3% change, but I think that there should also be a way to do this with changing percentages.  I am sure some may want filter at 2 or so percent and some may want it at a higher percent than three.  Thoughts?

5 REPLIES 5

I would think the best approach here would be to have a table with incremental values, say "0.5%", "1%", "1.5%" etc. up to some limit, and use this as a slicer. Simultaneously, add a calc column to the original data that determines the price change (or if it comes from the data source) and then add another calc column for the percentage bucket.  Those buckets would mirror the buckets you made in the first table, and then you can build a relationship and use the slicer in the report.

Anonymous
Not applicable

So now that I am mulling this over, if the filter had values of "0.5%", "1%", "1.5%" etc....what would happen if any of the changes are not exactly "0.5%", "1%", "1.5%" etc.  For instance my fear is if a results was a 1.15% change, would the filter exclude those items since there is not matching filter value?  Thoughts?

Hi @Anonymous,

Suppose there has been existing a incremental values column ("0.5%", "1%", "1.5%" etc) in your source table, you can create a new calculated table which contains only one column that referring this incremental values column. Please see below steps.

Create calculated table.

Table =
SELECTCOLUMNS (
    'Price Change Filter',
    "Change Per", 'Price Change Filter'[incremental values]
)

Create a measure which returns desired item filtered by slicer.

Measure1 =
CALCULATE (
    MAX ( 'Price Change Filter'[Change] ),
    FILTER (
        'Price Change Filter',
        'Price Change Filter'[Change] >= MAX ( 'Table'[Change Per] )
    )
)

In clicer, you should add column 'Table'[Change Per]. In your visual, you should use above measure 'Measure1' rather than the column in source table.

You can refer to this thread for detailed steps, it is not exactly the same as your scenario, but the logic is similar to yours.

Best regards,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

That's why your calc column logic creates buckets:

If([PriceChange]<=.005,"<=.05%",If(and([PriceChange]>.005,[PriceChange]<=.01),".05-1%,...)

However, with this said, I wonder if you could use a numeric range slicer using your actual percentage change column.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I like your idea...that did not cross my mind.  Thx!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.