Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Previous year DAX measure

Hi - I'm trying to create a measure that calculates the previous year's value i.e. for 2015 it would show 346 (6617-6271). 

I've tried SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR and PARALLELPERIOD with no success - the "year" column is a product of powerpivot auto generating separate date fields (month, quarter, year) based on a single date column in the data i.e. The "year" in the table below is actually ServiceDate(Year) in the field list and is based off a field called ServiceDate. Hoping someone can help out with this, thanks in advance!

Year                  Unique Patients 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

resolution in case it helps someone else: 

PatientsRaw = table name

Unique Patients = DISTINCTCOUNT(PatientsRaw[PersonID])

UniquePatientDiff = [Unique Patients] - CALCULATE([Unique Patients],FILTER(ALLEXCEPT(PatientsRaw,PatientsRaw[PayorName]),[CalendarYear]=MAX([CalendarYear])-1))

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Try something like:

PatientDiffMeasure = SUM(Patients[Unique Patients]) - CALCULATE(SUM(Patients[Unique Patients]),FILTER(ALL(Patients),[Year]=MAX([Year])-1))

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Greg_Deckler thanks for your suggestion - unique patients is a measure so it won't let me put it in a SUM; would you be willing to share your email? I have the file in dropbox and could share it with you.

Oh, just take out the SUM's then if it is already a measure. You can use a measure in another measure without an aggregation.

Latest book!:

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Greg_Deckler - the formula returns a result, but not what I'm looking for; tried a few different things with no success, not sure what the issue is. any chance I can share the file with you? 

Year            UniquePts   Diff  

=[Unique Patients] - CALCULATE([Unique Patients], FILTER(ALL(Table1), [ServiceDate] = MAX([ServiceDate])-1))

Maybe something with your measure calculation, can you share your formula? 

You can email me at gdeckler @ fusionalliance . com

Latest book!:

Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks very much - I shared the file through dropbox; let me know if you didn't get it.

here's the current formula: 

=[Unique Patients] - CALCULATE([Unique Patients], FILTER(ALL(Table1), [ServiceDate] = MAX([ServiceDate])-1))

OK, I will try to take a look, I did get the email. I was actually asking for your "Unique Patients" measure

Latest book!:

Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh, sorry - here it is: 

=DISTINCTCOUNT(Table1[PersonID])

OK, I sent back a PBIX attachment, let me know if you get it.

Latest book!:

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Greg_Deckler  got your attachment, unfortunately can't open it with my current version of PBI; I don't want to make it a hassle for you, if it's easiest to just send over the formulas you wrote, that's perfectly fine with me. Thank you again. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

resolution in case it helps someone else: 

PatientsRaw = table name

Unique Patients = DISTINCTCOUNT(PatientsRaw[PersonID])

UniquePatientDiff = [Unique Patients] - CALCULATE([Unique Patients],FILTER(ALLEXCEPT(PatientsRaw,PatientsRaw[PayorName]),[CalendarYear]=MAX([CalendarYear])-1))

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Greg_Deckler - quick follow up to this case: I'm looking to graph the difference metric and was wondering if there's a way to make the 2014 result blank instead of 6,271.

Unique Patients       Unique Patient Difference

20166,544-73
20176,118-426

Ideally, something like this would be the output - this is what happens if I choose "Difference from prior year" in the "show values

as" menu. 

Row Labels  Difference   

2016-73
2017-426

This is the current formula: 

=[Unique Patients] - CALCULATE([Unique Patients],FILTER(ALLEXCEPT(Sheet2,Sheet2[PayorName]),[CalendarYear]=MAX([CalendarYear])-1))

Try something like this:

Column = VAR myVar = CALCULATE([Unique Patients],FILTER(ALLEXCEPT(Sheet2,Sheet2[PayorName]),[CalendarYear]=MAX([CalendarYear])-1))

RETURN IF(ISBLANK(myVar),BLANK(), [Unique Patients] - myVar)

Latest book!:

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Greg,

Is there a way to display a measure results for current year and last 2 years dynamically?

Meaning, the user doesnt have to select any year but the report will automatically default to current year and last 2 years 

mattbrice
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR and PARALLELPERIOD both require a column of date values to work - you can't use on 'Year' column.  Otherwise you need to post more info for someone to help.  Or a file with sample data.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the prompt reply - how can I go about posting a file with sample data? I see options to insert code or a link, but none to attach a file. Sorry for the basic question, I'm new to this forum. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi - I'm trying to create a measure that calculates the previous year's value i.e. for 2015 the value would be 6617-6271 = 346

I"ve tried using SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR as well as PARALLELPERIOD and can't get either to work. The "year" columns is a result of the automatic date separation that PowerPivot does - it's called ServiceDate(Year) in the field list and comes from a single "ServiceDate" field. Hoping someone can help me out with this, thanks in advance!

Year      Unique Patients

PatientDiff = SUM(Patients[Unique Patients]) - CALCULATE(SUM(Patients[Unique Patients]),FILTER(ALL(Patients),[Year]=MAX([Year])-1))

Latest book!:

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.