Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jessicaritch
Regular Visitor

Previous workday from calender table

I have my data table and then my calendar table.  They are linked in relationships.  I need the preivous day data.  This data does not included weekends or holidays so that's not a big deal.  My main table column would be "Table_ExternalData_1[Job]", this is the column that lists all jobs.  The calendar table is named "dcalendar".  Inside the dcalendar table, I created a column named "workday" of course this field is using numbers 1 - 8.  I need a dax formula that will give me the amount of jobs from the previous workday. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @jessicaritch,

I found a better function which simple than above, perhaps you can take look at below sample.

Logic: find the last date which has the similar weekday.

Create a calculate table with base fileds:

Table = ADDCOLUMNS(CALENDAR(DATE(2015,1,1),TODAY()),"WeekNum",WEEKNUM([Date],1),"DayOfWeek",WEEKDAY([Date],1),"Year",YEAR([Date]),"Month",FORMAT([Date],"mmmm"),"WeekDay",FORMAT([Date],"dddd"))

1.PNG

Calculate column:
Previous WeekDay = CALCULATE(MAX('Table'[Date]),FILTER(ALL('Table'),[Date]<EARLIER([Date])&&[DayOfWeek]=EARLIER('Table'[DayOfWeek])))

2.PNG

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
idrabble
Frequent Visitor

If your calendar table does not include weekends or holidays then I would suggest a new calculated column in the calendar table with the following DAX:

LastWeekDay = 'dcalendar'[CalendarDate]-1 

This is where [CalendarDate] is the unique value for each day

Then create a measure thus:

Last Work Date = LOOKUPVALUE('dcalendar'[LastWeekDay],'dcalendar'[CalendarDate],today())

Then you can create your final measure:

Count of Last Work Date Jobs = calculate(COUNT(Table_ExternalData_1[Job]),filter(Table_ExternalData_1,Table_ExternalData_1[JobDate]=[Last Work Date]))

This final measure can then be placed in a Card to show the number of jobs from yesterday

Let us all know how you get on

Ian

This is great!  U got it to work.

Now, I need the formula for

1. Last 7 days

2. Last 30 days

3. Last 60 days

4. Last 90 days

5.  1 year

Once I have this dashboard created for these metrics then all of our reports will follow this setup.

It is greatly appreciated!

Hi @jessicaritch,

You can direct use calculated column with dateadd function to achieve your requirement:

Previous Week = DATEADD('Calendar'[Date],-7,DAY)
Previous Month = DATEADD('Calendar'[Date],-1,MONTH)
Previous Quarter = DATEADD('Calendar'[Date],-1,QUARTER)
Previous Year = DATEADD('Calendar'[Date],-1,Year)

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @jessicaritch,

In my opinion, you can use "weeknum" with "weekday" to mark the unique "weekday", then you can use current "weekday" and current "weeknum" -1 to find out the previous weekday.

Regards,

Xiaoxin sheng

I am really new at this. Can you supply me with the formula?

Hi @jessicaritch,

I found a better function which simple than above, perhaps you can take look at below sample.

Logic: find the last date which has the similar weekday.

Create a calculate table with base fileds:

Table = ADDCOLUMNS(CALENDAR(DATE(2015,1,1),TODAY()),"WeekNum",WEEKNUM([Date],1),"DayOfWeek",WEEKDAY([Date],1),"Year",YEAR([Date]),"Month",FORMAT([Date],"mmmm"),"WeekDay",FORMAT([Date],"dddd"))

1.PNG

Calculate column:
Previous WeekDay = CALCULATE(MAX('Table'[Date]),FILTER(ALL('Table'),[Date]<EARLIER([Date])&&[DayOfWeek]=EARLIER('Table'[DayOfWeek])))

2.PNG

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.