Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Nanakwame
Helper II
Helper II

Previous Month to Date Calculation based on current date

Hi All,

I have a function to calculate the PMTD (previous month to date) sales using the function below 

PreviousMTD = TOTALMTD( SUM(Table[Value]) , DATEADD('Date'[Date], -1 , MONTH) )

I will like to to take into consderation the number of days for the current month. 

For instance for Oct 4, the PTMD will only calculate 4 days in september since we are only 4 days in october. 

Any idea how to achieve this?

Thank you 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
TheoC
Super User
Super User

Hi @Nanakwame 

If I am reading correctly, you are quite close.  I recommend creating three measures. The first is to sum the relevant values. The second to sum only the portion of the Current Month To Date.  The third is to mimic the position of the Current Month To Date measure.

1. Sum Value = Sum ( 'Table'[Value] )
  2. Total CurMthTD = CALCULATE ( [Sum Value] , DATESMTD ( 'Date'[Date] ) )
  3. Total LstMthTD = CALCULATE ( [Total CurMthTD] , DATEADD ('Date'[Date] , -1 , MONTH ) )

Hope this helps! 🙂

If I have posted a response that resolves your question, please accept it as a solution to formally close the post.

Also, if you are as passionate about Power BI, DAX and data as I am, please feel free to reach out if you have any questions, queries, or if you simply want to connect and talk to another data geek!

Want to connect?www.linkedin.com/in/theoconias

View solution in original post

Hi Theo,

i tried the approach you provided and it seems like its calculating the 6 days for october comparing all of september. I will prefer it compare it to only 6 days in september as well and so on. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
TheoC
Super User
Super User

Hi @Nanakwame 

If I am reading correctly, you are quite close.  I recommend creating three measures. The first is to sum the relevant values. The second to sum only the portion of the Current Month To Date.  The third is to mimic the position of the Current Month To Date measure.

1. Sum Value = Sum ( 'Table'[Value] )
  2. Total CurMthTD = CALCULATE ( [Sum Value] , DATESMTD ( 'Date'[Date] ) )
  3. Total LstMthTD = CALCULATE ( [Total CurMthTD] , DATEADD ('Date'[Date] , -1 , MONTH ) )

Hope this helps! 🙂

If I have posted a response that resolves your question, please accept it as a solution to formally close the post.

Also, if you are as passionate about Power BI, DAX and data as I am, please feel free to reach out if you have any questions, queries, or if you simply want to connect and talk to another data geek!

I found this response very helpful. I've been looking for this answer for awhile now.. thank you so much. It works perfectly for me. 

@tyjames05 glad it helped, mate!  

Hi Theo,

i tried the approach you provided and it seems like its calculating the 6 days for october comparing all of september. I will prefer it compare it to only 6 days in september as well and so on. 

Hi @Nanakwame ,

You can try these measures to compare:

CurrentMonthValue = 
CALCULATE (
    SUM ( 'Table'[Value] ),
    FILTER (
        'Date',
        'Date'[Date] >= DATE ( YEAR ( TODAY () ), MONTH ( TODAY () ), 1 )
            && 'Date'[Date] <= TODAY ()
    )
)
PreviousMonthValue = 
VAR currentmonthstart =
    DATE ( YEAR ( TODAY () ), MONTH ( TODAY () ), 1 )
VAR currentday =
    TODAY ()
VAR currentdiff =
    DATEDIFF ( currentmonthstart, currentday, DAY )
VAR previousmonthstart =
    EOMONTH ( TODAY (), -2 ) + 1
VAR PreviousMonthValue =
    CALCULATE (
        SUM ( 'Table'[Value] ),
        FILTER (
            'Date',
            'Date'[Date] >= previousmonthstart
                && 'Date'[Date] <= previousmonthstart + currentdiff
        )
    )
RETURN
    PreviousMonthValue

vyingjl_0-1633937336830.png

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Yingjie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I can't tell how long I've ben looking for this solution - Thanks a lot

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.