cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hansei Member

Previews are refreshing automatically

I have a report that gets Excel data from SharePoint folders. There are around 30 files and ultimately around 12 tables ranging from 50-300000 rows. If I choose to do 'Refresh All' from the Power Query Editor, it takes a couple of hours for all of the previews to rebuild.

If the Power Query Editor is closed and then re-opened, the previews (are cached I assumed and) simply display from the last refresh. If Power BI Desktop is closed and re-opened, then the Editor is opened, the previews still display from their last refresh. However, if a couple of hours pass and the Editor is opened, all of the files are refreshed again, and I have to wait hours for the previews to complete and to be able to make any query changes.

This seems abnormal to me, and I wonder what I can do to prevent having to wait so long.

2 REPLIES 2
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Previews are refreshing automatically

Hi @hansei ,

In your scenario, I suggest to Configure scheduled refresh for your dataset in power bi service insteading refreshing your data in power bi desktop. For more details, please check the online document.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/refresh-scheduled-refresh

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.
hansei Member

Re: Previews are refreshing automatically

How is that of any help to my issue: which, to iterate, is that anytime I want to edit a query I have to wait hours beforehand?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Exclusive LIVE Community Event #3 – Ask Arun Anything

Exclusive LIVE Community Event #3 – Ask Arun Anything

Join us in the third Triple A event!

Meet the 2020 Season 1 Power BI Super Users!

Meet the 2020 Season 1 Power BI Super Users!

It’s the start of a new Super User season! Learn all about the new Super Users and brand-new tiered recognition system.

Super User Challenge: Can You Solve These?

Super User Challenge: Can You Solve These?

We're celebrating the start of the New Super User season with our first ever Super User 'Can You Solve These?' challenge.

Power BI Desktop Update - February 2020

Power BI Desktop Update - February 2020

We are super excited for our update this month, as we are releasing two of our top community requests!

Power Platform Online Conference

Power Platform Online Conference

Join us for the first ever Power Platform Online Conference!

Top Solution Authors