Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Innerise

Preview Features missing

Hi Everyone

We're implementing Power BI at our organisation with an on-prem Report Server.

We've downloaded 'Microsoft Power BI Desktop (Optimized for Power BI Report Server - March 2018)' from here (Version: 2.56.5023.1043 64-bit March 2018) as local installs and also in a Citrix environment. We have Power BI Pro licenses, so these have been allocated to the relevant users via the Office365 admin portal.

The problem is that we can't find the Preview Features anywhere.

In Power BI Desktop, if we go to File > Options and Settings > Options, 'Preview Features' isn't listed.

We've also checked in the Office 365 Power BI admin portal, but can't see any options to enable it there, either. If we look in 'Tenant Settings', we can see individual options to enable or disable, but we're not sure if this has replaced the 'Preview Features' section in Power BI.

If we log into the Power BI service under Settings > General, we can see the 'ArcGIS Maps for Power BI' options, but our developers want to use other Preview features.

Just to make sure it wasn't to do with the fact that we're running the 'Optimized for Power BI Report Server' version of Power BI, we've installed the regular version, but are having the same issues.

Anyone had anything similar? We can't figure out what we're doing wrong.

Many thanks,

Innerise

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Innerise,

There is no official document written about this. But PG from Power BI Report Servre group has confirmed in this blog.

1.PNG

Besides, Riccardo Muti mentioned that this idea has been moved to the Report Server category.

Best regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
David5
Regular Visitor

Hello,

I am trying to create a composite model in power bi. Could you help me how can I enable it if preview features is missing.

Would appreciate any tip.

Thank you,

David 

David5
Regular Visitor

Hello all,

I am creating the composite model in power bi desktop. Do you have an idea how is possible to do it without enabling the preview features if they are missing? Would appreciate any tip.

Thank you,

David

v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Innerise,

Preview features are not supported by Power BI Report Server, in both current desktop version (Optimized for Power BI Report Server - March 2018) and previous version. So, the "Preview Features" option is not visible, this is by design.

Just to make sure it wasn't to do with the fact that we're running the 'Optimized for Power BI Report Server' version of Power BI, we've installed the regular version, but are having the same issues.

Which regular version did you installed? I checked in Version: 2.57.5068.721 64-bit (April 2018) and Version: 2.56.5023.1021 64-bit (March 2018), the "Preview Features" is available in them two.

Regards,

Yuliana Gu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Yuliana. Thanks for your reply.

Ah OK, I wasn't aware that preview features aren't supported with an on-prem Power BI Report Server. That would explain why I can't see the option in the Power BI version that is optimised for Report Server. Do you happen to have the URL where Microsoft state this - I can't find it anywhere?

I've just checked the non-optimised desktop version and I can see the preview features listed, as you've suggested.

Thanks,

Innerise

Hi @Innerise,

There is no official document written about this. But PG from Power BI Report Servre group has confirmed in this blog.

1.PNG

Besides, Riccardo Muti mentioned that this idea has been moved to the Report Server category.

Best regards,

Yuliana Gu

Thank you for your help, Yuliana - very useful!

Hello,

I need to anable the composite model. With preview feature missing do you have an idea how is possible to create this model alternativelly?

Would appreciate any tip.

Regards,

David

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.