Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

pierre415
Helper I
Helper I

Prevent Scientific Notation

I'm dealing with some ID numbers that show up fine in Excel but get converted to Scientific Notation whenever I import them in PBI, which also changes the numbers for some reason. Is there any way to prevent scientific notation? I've tried changing the column format to text but it doesn't make a difference. 

Thanks,

Pierre 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Just started working actually, I added a * to the column in excel and then removed it in PBI!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
bgale1945

I have a text file with chess moves like 1.e3 which keep getting changed to scientific notation.

I changed all the e's in my text file to é (e acute) and on importing into excel it left them alone.

Having e acute instead of e is a small pice to pay!

bgale1945

I have a text file with chess moves such as 1.e3 which kept getting changed to scientific notation.

I changed all the e's in my file to é (e acute) and on importing to excel it left them alone!

I don't care if 1.e3 looks like 1.é3

bgale1945

I stopped excel changing things like 1.e3 by changing all the e's in my input text file to é (e acute). It worked!

I don't really care if 1.e3 shows as 1.é3

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

I'd like to play around with that, how big does the number have to be in Excel?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Just started working actually, I added a * to the column in excel and then removed it in PBI!

@pierre415,

Glad to hear that you've solved this problem. You could help accept it as solution. Your contribution is highly appreciated.

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

We have a similar problem. Some zeros in Tables and Matrices appear with scientific notation, dispite being set to Integer.

We solved it by rounding to two decimals with ROUND([measure], 2), and then changing the format to 'Whole number' in the Modelling tab.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.