Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Catrice
Helper I
Helper I

Prevent Filter reset when clicking into table

I've 2 visuals in my PowerBI Report page: a table and an image grid (btw this is a cool thing!:)
Clicking on image grid filters the table and shows me the desired informations.
I only want to have this 'uni-directional', I configured the Interaction between that 2 visuals accordingly.
I can work with the filtered table like scolling, sorting acc. to column, clicking on some links, etc...
So far so good.
But Problem is: clicking on any item/cell (except cells with URL symbol included) in the table resets the filter and the whole table is shown.
Is there a way to prevent this and keep that table somehow 'static' ?
I want to control the table only by the image grid, it should only work as a informational block (with the features mentioned above)

12 REPLIES 12
Chrissyboy

Still frustrated by this in 2024. I have a table that is only visible when a different visual has been used to navigate into a certain context. I want that table visual to show just child items from the first and for a drilldown function only. I don't want the user to click on a row (which they will do if they want to highlight it for reading purposes) and subsequently have all the filters reset on them and leave with an empty 2nd table.

jmkeuning
Frequent Visitor

I have the same problem. Clicking a value in Bar Chart 1 filters Bar Chart 2. Bar Chart 2 filters a table. But when I click in Bar Chart 2 to filter the table, the click resets the selection in Bar Chart 1. Relationship is set to one-way.

bgunzenhauser

Did anyone ever find a solution to this? I am frustrated by the same phenomenon - it seems it should be something as easy as freezing filter action only interacting with the table in question, and not something so clunky as putting an invisible shape on top of the table.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the same issue. Have you discovered a way to prevent filtering apart from pressing Ctrl+Click (which is something I'm sure users won't do)? 😞

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Catrice ,The information you have provided is not making the problem clear to me. Can you please explain with an example.

If you right-click use include the filter will remain unless you remove
Appreciate your Kudos.

Here's a movie that shows my problem:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1usepwjDfjL6-x95Y6e3wJU0HzQqv8LpV/view?usp=sharing

I don't want that the filter is reset when I click somewhere in the table!

Hope it makes it clear.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Catrice ,

The link you shared is not public,pls share us a public link.

Annotation 2020-06-18 104100.png

Best Regards,
Kelly
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Catrice ,

Press "ctrl"+seletion to make multiple selections.

Here is the reference.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/create-reports/desktop-multi-select#:~:text=To%20multi%2Ds...

Best Regards,
Kelly
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Hi,
I try to fomulate my problem again:
My table visual is filtered by interaction via another visual.
The question is:
How to prevent to reset the filter in my table when clicking into it ?

My video show the whole solution, the relevant sequence is in second 25-30:
I DON'T WANT what happens here.

The background reason is of my request is: I want to provide the BI solution to some 'dummy users'. These users should only do interactions with the first visual (image grid) and see the results in 2nd visual (the table!). But I'm pretty sure that some users will somehow unintentionally click into this table  - but then the filter is lost and they may be confused.
This is what I want to avoid.
thanks
greets Catrice

any more idea ? Did I formulate it clearly ?

It was very clear to me.  I am having the same issue... please let me know if you have figured out a solution.

I am currently working on trying to base a filter on a Measure, so when you select something with another visual (like your image grid)  it sets the filter on the table, then it would prevent the problem we are both facing.  Because as I see it, selecting anything in the table right now resets the page filters, however if I filter the table, then it ONLY lets me click on those items in the table... but I can't find a way to dynamically filter the table so far which might solve this problem...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.