Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anthonyx

Preserving Order of Dimension from SSAS

Hi,

I'm connecting straight to Analysis services and in SSAS i've set up a dimension to order in a specific way showing actual before budget.

However in Power BI the it automatically sorts the dimension alphabetically. Is there anyway to get around this and use the sorting specified in SSAS or possibly re order the sorting in power bi.

Thanks in advance.

8 REPLIES 8
roxanar

Create a month number under your date dimention If you don't have one .

Select your Monthname field and under properties ->Sort By Column then select the month number field.

That will do the trick

guisin
Frequent Visitor

You need to use "Sort by Column" based on a numeric column in SSAS rather than using Sort by in PBI.

SivaMani
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

@Anthonyx,

Yes, We can do the sorting.

We can do it at visual level

Sort.PNG

@SivaMani

I can see that but i'de like to sort it by version showing actual before budget however I cannot do this in the visual filter.

I am using a measure and version dimension to segregate the actual and budget.

PowerBI.PNG

Got it.

Are you using live connection?

I think we couldn't do it in a live connection. It has some limitations.

We have also experienced the problem for the month. Fortunately, we had it on an axis so we simply sort it at a visual level.

There is a workaround. You will calculate budget and actual as separate measures of Power BI.

Then add it to the visual in the order you want.

Hope It will help you!

Yes a live SSAS connection.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.