Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

karimm
Helper II
Helper II

Presenting a hierarchy with pre-calculated values (without aggregation)

Hi All

Really appreciate your help on an issue I've been struggling with for many days...

Tried looking for an answer in other posts but reached a dead end.

I have data shown in the screenshot below that is small part of a child-parent hierarchy (actual one has more rows and levels)

karimm_0-1653998720615.png

As you can see, for each item, I have duration, planned progress % and actual progress %.

All these fields are pre-calculated in the data source.

I applied the parent-child pattern (https://www.daxpatterns.com/parent-child-hierarchies/) and got the following table:

karimm_1-1653998720617.png

The question is:

Is there a way to present this hierarchy in a visual without the visual aggregating on the 3 fields?

I need a visual that will allow drilling up/down in the hierarchy while displaying the pre-calculated values on each level.

I tried the matrix visual, and tried 2 different configurations:

Matrix-Configuration1

I apply the following configuration for the matrix (the values section is aggregating

karimm_2-1653998720621.png

Matrix-Configuration1-Result

When the hierarchy is fully expanded, we can see that Actual progress % of Parent1 is matching the original data (38%).

karimm_3-1653998720622.png

But when collapsing Parent1, the aggregation value (42%) is shown.

karimm_4-1653998720623.png

Is there a way to request PowerBI matrix not to aggregate when row is collapsed? I’m ready to use any other visual if needed.

Matrix-Configuration2

Inspired by Excel’s Tabular Form layout in Pivot Tables, I tried putting all fields in rows bucket, and disabled stepped layout

karimm_5-1653998720625.png

Matrix-Configuration2-Result

When the hierarchy is fully expanded, we can see that fields are showing the actual numbers. Example: Actual Progress is 38%

karimm_6-1653998720627.png

But when collapsing Parent1, all values disappear.

karimm_7-1653998720628.png

Thank you very much in advance

2 REPLIES 2
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

Thank you so much Amit. 

I haven't applied it yet, but seems this will help me a lot!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.